cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaw upgrading internet from 150/300 to 300/600 for free

mrhector
Organizer

So looks like Shaw is automatically upgrading the internet speeds on the 150 and 300 plans to 300 and 600. Looking at you Telus. 

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17572

60 REPLIES 60

Tbh, i think the numbers are more like propaganda in a lot of ads. I currently have shaw 150 (supposedly upgraded to 300 they said in email and on bill), with full bundle it is about $90 just for the internet and all the speed tests i do show i get between 70-110 download and 9-12 upoad and 37ms is my fastest ping(tested 4am when only i was up and connected on 1 device), and that is only to a calgary location for ping. My game ping is usually about 62. This blows, and i am seriously about to switch to Telus since your ping of zero is making me jelly.

Complete nonsense, you still have to pay $15 more for unlimited on top of that, show me a case other than uploading and downloading to another telus client with matched or higher connection that you will even see any advantage to going above 25 or 50 mbps. Real world not dreamer pie in the sky "600 is higher than 300 nonsense"

You people should all be driving cars 30 feet long and 6 passengers wide, if bigger is better. Lol

I've found that the most important things are unlimited bandwidth, and a high upload speed. Even then some downloads crawl.

Is Telus promising Mbps or mbps lmao search it.

I followed up with TELUS today (Dec 10) and it appears now TELUS wont be matching Shaw's doubling of 150/300... or so Frontline Care has been told.

The rep was eager to sell me TELUS 750 - but as an average household... 300 is sufficient... just would have been nice to get 600 for the same price.

That makes zero sense,

For one thing ISPs play games, they know exactly what's connected and sandbaged you.

Audio even 7.2 streams perfectly even on a 5Mbps connection over copper.

The lightbulbs and other periphery you mention consume jack sh*t for data. Roku and all those "illegal app and kodi " streams are actually low bandwidth, because they are hosted by get rich quick people on home connections.

As to using so much bandwidth unless you have (running 24x7) smart TVs, TV set top boxes like roku, matricom, amazon firetv, playing legitimate 1080p or 4k steams from legitimate legal senders like Netflix, cravetv, Prime, Hulu, Crackle, and any number of new apps from Sony, Warner Bros, CBS, where you can measurably see the streams. Then your ISP is playing games with you.

Audio and iot data take little bandwidth. You may also have to get software to monitor your network.

On my telus I have as many or more devices, I have my routing equipment configured myself, even had telus tech come out and test with equipment to be sure nothing was colliding and multi media, data, and optic TV data were all on their own.

Never had issues on telus except when its equipment failure or something from their side.

If you enjoy having your head in the sand like some of my friends, and simply paying more for exactly nothing, that's your choice.

Some of you people seem to be comparing these things as though they are cars, my brand is better than yours, my model is better than yours or I had the lower end model but only the higher end one suits me. Your living in a fantasy land (oh yeah then how come my issues cleared up?) Ask the telus tech Lmao

Shaw Bell telus that's what they want. You've played right into their hands.

Anyone with IT IS knowledge knows it's all data.

Did you leave out that you are downloading terabytes of torrents 24x7 or something?

That's the only thing that would effect a 75Mbps speed with music streaming.

Something you're not telling us, I get perfect Google music and 1080p and 4k streaming and optic TV on a 25Mbps telus on twisted pair nonetheless

Do you have telus optic TV?
When you get internet and optic TV they put you on their better routing equipment, look it up, it's been talked to death on here and other forums.

Tmanok
Just Moved In

Hey, works for me. Shaw at home, Telus at my office down the road in Sooke 😛 

Tmanok

From my experience i should never of left Shaw telus sucks in every way tv guide is horrible ,tv picture quality all most as good as youtube .gaming lag not any better and ping times are the same as cable what is so great about fibre i see nothing !!! 

You don't have their new 4K equipment that new costumers get Talus TV quality is better than Shaw. Even with upgrade I am leaving Shaw because I am paying  for service and not downtime.

I have the new So called 4k pvr and from coming from the guide sucks and so does much of the content .You guys that bleed telus should really start listening to customers because between the stores and help a person finds from telus on the phone is useless .

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Guess you should edit your original post. Since the picture and audio quality was 100 times better.

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/First-experience-with-Telus/m-p/91693

Nice catch! Didn't see that post before.  I don't know how things can get so bad from so good.

First day but after you watch telus and shaw .Shaw is the winner .Plus you guys drink way to much Telus cool-aid get with the real problem of bull**bleep**ting consumers i see no change in week i am going back to blue and green can get off my property fibre and all because people being charged overages frees and other fraudulent things .

The other thing fibre is not a better online experience either it is bull**bleep** ping between shaw and telus are about the same hands down .Than dealing with stupid installers using to short of screws to hold the plastic box on the wall not having drill bits to drill hole ya it's a joke .and being higher cost than big blue is joke .

So go and he said one thing now he is saying something else ya i am i seen the light (no not that one) and the other thing the tv guide is a joke no new beside a show to tell you it's new and the recording of a show is pain and the data that optic tv using is crazy how many people are getting suckered out of money for this stupidy .

@YouNoIt wrote:

First day but after you watch telus and shaw .Shaw is the winner .Plus you guys drink way to much Telus cool-aid get with the real problem of bull**bleep**ting consumers i see no change in week i am going back to blue and green can get off my property fibre and all because people being charged overages frees and other fraudulent things .

The other thing fibre is not a better online experience either it is bull**bleep** ping between shaw and telus are about the same hands down .Than dealing with stupid installers using to short of screws to hold the plastic box on the wall not having drill bits to drill hole ya it's a joke .and being higher cost than big blue is joke .

So go and he said one thing now he is saying something else ya i am i seen the light (no not that one) and the other thing the tv guide is a joke no new beside a show to tell you it's new and the recording of a show is pain and the data that optic tv using is crazy how many people are getting suckered out of money for this stupidy .

Actually TELUS is $30~40 cheaper than Shaw as current customer of Shaw I can say that 100 sure and thy have way more downtime than Taeus does and on monthly basis

Nut nice try dude...

your full of **bleep** i have only had a hand full of times where i lost internet and tv or phone in 47 years with Shawcable and shaw is a better tv experience and way better tv guide hands down .You guys in green need to tell the truth and stop eating the green jello .Because you guys are all for team green as of right now i should have stayed with ShawCable because Telus is shady period argue all you want .

The two questions that no one can answer in the high bandwidth !!

Why can't i use my own router for the tv and internet how is the routing done through the tv boxes or in the lousy telus router !! 

Why can't i use my own router for the tv and internet how is the routing done through the tv boxes or in the lousy telus router !! 

You can, your router just needs to support IGMP multicast, which most consumer routers do not without custom firmware. I have my parents place set up this way, No T3200M in sight.

I don't use consumer crap here never have never will .Telus has big problems here with DATA usage big time and the Tv experience is a joke the tv guide is a joke .Plus you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise and DATA usage was 250GB to 300GB a month with this **bleep** telus i see half that in a week and ping to different sites are worse than i ever seen on shaw .

I want the problem fixed why is the DATA usage high why are pings horrible and it is better not using the telus crappy router      

I don't use consumer crap here never have never will .

Then you should easily be able to configure your router to work for the Telus TV system.

you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise

I get 330/340 on Telus and 338/28 on Shaw. That is less than 1/10th the upload speed on Shaw. Tell me again how Shaw is faster? Last time I checked they were within $5 of each other, however, I would gladly pay a couple dollars more for 10x the speed.

DATA usage was 250GB to 300GB a month with this **bleep** telus i see half that in a week 

The data that my router reports and what Shaw/Telus report are within a few GB of each other every month. That being said most plans on both sides are unlimited now, so who cares?

why are pings horrible

Well, that depends what you are calling "horrible" and what you are ping testing to. Perhaps share some screenshots of your ping tests to various locations.

and it is better not using the telus crappy router  

Well, ya, of course it is, just like its better to not use the crappy Shaw router. Neither are great. There is nothing stopping you from using your own.

@Kolby_G wrote:

I don't use consumer crap here never have never will .

Then you should easily be able to configure your router to work for the Telus TV system.

you pay more for telus and my fibre experience is horrible my shaw internet was way better speed wise

I get 330/340 on Telus and 338/28 on Shaw. That is less than 1/10th the upload speed on Shaw. Tell me again how Shaw is faster? Last time I checked they were within $5 of each other, however, I would gladly pay a couple dollars more for 10x the speed.

DATA usage was 250GB to 300GB a month with this **bleep** telus i see half that in a week 

The data that my router reports and what Shaw/Telus report are within a few GB of each other every month. That being said most plans on both sides are unlimited now, so who cares?

why are pings horrible

Well, that depends what you are calling "horrible" and what you are ping testing to. Perhaps share some screenshots of your ping tests to various locations.

and it is better not using the telus crappy router  

Well, ya, of course it is, just like its better to not use the crappy Shaw router. Neither are great. There is nothing stopping you from using your own.

Price wise they are no longer within $5 of each other.  Looking at the regular posted rates you are now looking at ($110 + $15 unlim data)  $125 for Telus 300/300 vs $110 for Shaw 300/15 or $120 for Shaw 600/20. This is for regular non-contract pricing without credits on either.  So for $5 less a month you're looking at double the download speed or $15 less for the same download speed. 

@mrhector wrote:

Price wise they are no longer within $5 of each other.  Looking at the regular posted rates you are now looking at ($110 + $15 unlim data)  $125 for Telus 300/300 vs $110 for Shaw 300/15 or $120 for Shaw 600/20. This is for regular non-contract pricing without credits on either.  So for $5 less a month you're looking at double the download speed or $15 less for the same download speed. 

Ya, I see when you take in to account the new Shaw speeds they are a bit further apart in price. I would assume that Telus will be matching that in the next couple weeks though.

Although you would get double the download speed with the new highest Shaw plan, you would also be getting 1/15th the upload speed. IMO, that is a huge advantage for Telus, Shaw's upload speeds are still hilariously slow. When/If Telus matches the new Shaw speeds, this gap will increase to 1/30th the upload speed, and the download speed would be the same.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Kolby_G wrote:

Although you would get double the download speed with the new highest Shaw plan, you would also be getting 1/15th the upload speed. IMO, that is a huge advantage for Telus, Shaw's upload speeds are still hilariously slow. When/If Telus matches the new Shaw speeds, this gap will increase to 1/30th the upload speed, and the download speed would be the same.

High download speeds have the most benefit when you have a large number of connections at your home / business. In most instances, other than on speed testing sites, or if downloading large ISO from server farms, most sites cannot serve the information you want at anywhere near these speeds.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC wrote:

High download speeds have the most benefit when you have a large number of connections at your home / business. In most instances, other than on speed testing sites, or if downloading large ISO from server farms, most sites cannot serve the information you want at anywhere near these speeds.

Very true,

There are more and more platforms that can make use of crazy high download speeds nowadays, but typically only the large companies have servers that can come close. We have gigabit at work, and I still typically max around 400Mbps even from Microsoft or Adobe, two that I usually find to have some of the fastest connections.

The only place that I can consistently max out my work connection, is our private VMs in Azure & AWS. Even speed tests have trouble.

This is again why IMO, the upload speed that Telus offers is far more important. I max out my upload far more often than maxing my download.