Setting up a 3rd party router in Bridge mode

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

My GF has the Actiontec T1200H, one PVR and 3 digital boxes, along with the extender/booster connected in her home.  One far end of the house has really bad wireless and i was trying to setup a TP-Link  WR814N in Bridge mode with DD-WRT on it.  The TP Link is connected with a Cat cable on Lan 1 from Port1 Bridge option on the Actiontec. I followed the dd-wrt link to set up the Wireless Access point with no luck. ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point )  I'm not sure if i am entering the IP and subnet correctly on DD-WRT?  I had 192.168.1.2 and 255.255.255.0 set on ddwrt.  Could someone correct me?  I'm looking for any info or what Actual numbers i put in on ddwrt following the above wiki.

I have done this at my sisters place with the Actiontec 1000 before with no problems but seem stuck here.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If port 1 on the Actiontec is bridged, that means the TP-Link would get an external IP. Not a 192.168.x IP. The TP-Link is what should be bridged if you are looking to extend your wireless network and use the same subnet. When you set up the TP-Link, did you follow the short or long instructions?

When you log in to the Actiontec and look at the LAN status, can you see the TP-Link showing up in the list of devices?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Resident

I followed the Long instructions.  Should i have followed the short?  I won't be able to try again for a few days to see if i could see the TP link logging in the actiontec.

I'm really just trying to boost a wireless signal to an addition in the house where the former outside walls are interfering with the signal. The actiontec is in the basement but there is a Cat cable wired up along a chimney to the upstairs living room.  There is a lot of cable and i am able to pull it up and position a second router (TP-Link) to a clear line of sight of the addition room.