Second Phone Line

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I need a second phone line with its own Voice Mail. I currently have Smart Ring, but it shares Voice Mail with home number. No good. So. I'm guessing IO require a second phone line. Yes? If so, what are the steps and costs?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some answering machines can detect distinctive ring. Not as neat a solution as voicemail, but a possibility. Else you will need to call Telus to set up a second line, or look to a VoIP solution. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

Great idea, thanks! No luck unfortunately finding an answering machine that has that capability.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Search for "Distinctive Ring Router" or Distinctive Ring Switch". Might be cheaper and simpler to look to a VoIP service, though.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbour

Yeah, decided to go for MagicJack and inexpensive dedicated phone/answering machine to plugin to MagicJack. Be about $80 total for both at London Drugs. MagicJack free for first year on equipment purchase, and only $3 a month after that. Quite reasonable.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you get to keep your number?

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbour

I now have three numbers: original home # and smart #. I use smart # for dedicated FAX line. New (MagicJack #) I'm using for business # that I wanted to use smart # for. I wanted to have dedicated FAX # for home and business anyways. Getting complicated 🙂