Router Antenna

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

My 25Mbps is great everywhere in the house, except the kitchen.  I have relocated the router for some improvements, but I'm thinking of now replacing the antenna.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
I THINK multiple band routers have multiple antennae. Possibly some form of range extender or access point would address your signal strength issue?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I don't think the Telus supplied V1000H qualifies as a multi band.  I thought about the range extender, but it would compromize the Mbps and I just need 10 extra feet of good coverage.

Community Power User
Community Power User
Then what about an Ethernet connected WAP?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
CanadianThomas
Friendly Neighbour

heres a good solution I posted elsewhere on this site. Bridge the useless telus router and make it behave as only a moden. Then you can use any router you want. I use an Apple Airport Extreme, dual band, fast and the range is at least double the telus box's.

check this link: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-internet-using-your-own-router-putting-v1000h-into-bridge-mode-...

Explains it. Some routers wont have a multicast setting that will work for the optik tv box. My apple airport extreme is one, its has a multi cast setting but only for low medium and high rates. thats not enough. So i have the optik box plugged into their modem, and my router in to it as well. Each box gets an external ip from telus and all is well. I use my equipment for my network and use theirs for net access and for the tv.

also not mentioned in the link, i found a setting in the telus vt box to turn of dhcp. DO THAT!

Paskell
Helpful Neighbour

i agree with ^

Set the modem/router to bridge mode. and buy /use a better router ex: a new air port extreme or any new router that utalizes wireless AC, dont cheap out on buying a router. poor signal is painful..