I logged into my Telus internet account today and discovered that the website currently thinks I used 1508 GB this month, which as you can see from the chart below is quite out of whack with what I have historically been using. When I checked the usage late last week, it was at around 225GB. The number I see today is cartoonishly absurd. It is probably impossible for me to have downloaded that much data in such a short amount of time since I only get a speed of 30 Mbps. At the very least, it would have made the connection unusable and it would have been impossible not to notice.
There is no malware on my computer and my wifi is secure. I have not been streaming, file sharing, gaming or anything like that. Windows 10 claims I have only used about 110GB of data in the last 30 days, although that figure is probably somewhat suspect as well. Since I have not received any warning emails I strongly suspect this figure is, to say the least, inaccurate. The usage number given on the website is probably not correct a lot of the time, but this is a little over the top.
Have waited on hold 3 times for a grand total of 4 hours. Absolutely to no avail. Tried live chat, on telus website, and the little blue connection line never moved, nor started, and that has gone on for 3 hours also! Got a message a couple of days ago, saying I was close to my internet monthly usage. In the 2 years of being with Telus, my monthly average is 60 GB. Never gone over 100 on the 150GB plan. Got a loyalty discount in April that is good till April 2018. That only lasted a month, and my bill is back to the normal amount, which is $5.00 over the loyalty discount. Sitting here, decided to check my internet usage for an hour just to see what is being tacked on. So from 3:00pm-4:00pm September 23rd, I used 1GB within that hour. The only usage with in the hour was logging on to telus, and logging off. WTF? This is ridiculous! A Gigabit of usage for NO USAGE is beyond me. Guess it's time to complain and hopefully the matter gets resolved. How to waste a day, and get no where! Thanks Telus. Perhaps it's time to go elsewhere. Maybe the devil you don't know has more integrity than the devil you do know? I doubt it!
I too got a massive internet usage spike and was charged 45 bucks for the overage. We went from @700gig a month to over 2300gigs in August. I got on the phone and was told some disturbing information that telus pulled a fast one with my internet usage and probably all the others who are intown and/or other towns.
They installed the optik fiber and we got the 50/10 and TV bundle package when it was introduced. Began to have problems with our son hoggin the internet and beginning to go over the 450gig cap. Phoned telus to change plans and we agreed that I was going to cut my TV down to just basic, home phone from 45/month to 15/month and get 150/150 internet for 85 and have unlimited thrown in for free. Great until I got the overage email last month then they added 45bucks charge on my bill. I phoned them to find out that now they installed this "Pure Fiber" that I don't have unlimited internet anymore and that I was getting a 15 dollar credit for it. WOW ever since Jan 2017 I've been paying 85 for my 150/150 internet and the bozo on the phone told me it went up to $100 and the 85 was with the $15 credit. If I go over again its too bad and I have to pay overage charges.
They also neglected to tell me that the 50/10 router T1200H bottlenecks the 150/150 and suppose to get the upgraded router. I find this out months after, got a overage charge and researched what the usage spike could be.
I at least got the upgraded T3200M out of them, the tech showed up yesterday and installed it but had no idea of the huge usage spike nor what it could have been.
There is no way that I'm finished with telus yet and them discontinuing unlimited internet, not telling me anything then handing me the middle finger to resolve this. It still says on their site that I can get unlimited, says in my telus web bill that I have unlimited internet but I sure as heck don't have unlimited.
Yeah, I used 13 GB since January so 3 GB in and hour or two (who knows how accurate their usage tables are) is suspect. This is a problem that is not mine, but I need to know what.
The text warnings are supposed to be accurate and I recieved one saying I was 50% usage for the 5 days into the start date. I thought that was weird. Then 15 minutes later I get one for 75% used! Then 8 minutes later, another one saying 90% used. All the time I have no apps on. There is nothing using a hotspot.