Ridiculous Internet Usage Claim

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

I logged into my Telus internet account today and discovered that the website currently thinks I used 1508 GB this month, which as you can see from the chart below is quite out of whack with what I have historically been using. When I checked the usage late last week, it was at around 225GB. The number I see today is cartoonishly absurd. It is probably impossible for me to have downloaded that much data in such a short amount of time since I only get a speed of 30 Mbps. At the very least, it would have made the connection unusable and it would have been impossible not to notice.

There is no malware on my computer and my wifi is secure. I have not been streaming, file sharing, gaming or anything like that. Windows 10 claims I have only used about 110GB of data in the last 30 days, although that figure is probably somewhat suspect as well. Since I have not received any warning emails I strongly suspect this figure is, to say the least, inaccurate. The usage number given on the website is probably not correct a lot of the time, but this is a little over the top.

chart.png

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

There have been some issues with the data tracking lately. My June & July stats show zero use (maybe you got assigned my bytes?).

Keep your records, in PDF format if available to you, and check your bill when it arrives, as there may be adjust,ments before it is generated. If you are billed that high level, then is the time to make your dispute.

There was also another discussion about high usage a while back. If I can find it, I'll add the link to the post.

Link 1

Link 2

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Resident

ask them [telus] about them holding me hostage , by taking both my land line and my cell phone away for no reason , except they want me to pay more money for a new phone when ive been paying $9 extra every month for extended warranty that doesnt give you anything. ask them? but make sure your up to date with them or they will cut you out like they did to me. f-----g bas----s. my house alarm is threw there lines , so my house is not protected right now. should i post my address so you know where im coming from? i think not. keep up the good work. ill keep following. beingscrewedbytelus

Highlighted
Neighbour

I just found a similar spike in my "apparent usage". I called Telus and they told me that it was all yesterday (when we were not even home). We are a couple and our usage is pretty constant using only about 20% of our plan. Yesterday was about 55% of our monthly plan.They washed their hands of it. I just googled "Telus excessive Internet Usage" and found this site.

Highlighted
Advisor
Same happened to me. Within One day my usage spiked to over 1TB of data. When we only use on average 350GB per cycle. We don't even have Netflix. Obviously there is a problem with the usage measurement.
Highlighted
Connector

I contacted Telus and they agreed there is something wrong. They are aware there are issues with measuring data and, according to them, have been getting calls from numerous people about it. They said it would take several days to fix the problem. I asked them to waive any overage charges for this month, since it is impossible for me to know how much data I have used without special software.

Highlighted
Connector

I am an IT tech with a degree in electronics and I install internet professionally.

I also have this issue and TELUS is not buying what I told them. I explained that at my speed of 3.99 MBPS makes it impossible to download the 278 GIG and upload the 74 GIG on AUG 23 as they claim.

That is 352 GIG in total and it would take 9 days 23 hours 17 minutes 20 seconds to do that (from a website that I used).

I got the same amateurish response from tech support as others on this forum. The tech told me that 1024 bytes equals 1 KB, 1 KB time’s 1000 equals 1 MEG, 1 MEG time’s 1000 equals 1 GIG and that 3.99 MBPS has no bearing on this at all.

So I downloaded a 1 GIG file from this site to test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.

The download took 32 minutes, so lets do some math,

352 GIG times 32 minutes equals 11,264 minutes. Divide this by 60 to convert to hours equals 187.733 hours. Divide this by 24 to convert to days equals 7.822 days – not just a few hours as they claim.

So what they are trying to bill me for is clearly impossible?

But for the small charge of $15 per month I can make this go away?

Test this yourself to check your internet.

Highlighted
Advisor

After reading this I checked mine. I typically use about 3GB a day, 100GB a month (Internet 15), and in the last 7 days, it shows 150 GB. We weren't home for 4 of those days. I have my Netflix set for medium (0.7GB/hr) and had about 10 hours usage (7 GB). Beyond that, just basic web surfing.

Something is certainly wrong.

Highlighted
Connector

More importantly, Telus has said that they are going to charge for the over usage. Everyone here agrees that their usage report is wrong. As I explained to download that much is impossible, even if TELUS says that it is? this link might be useful as well - http://downloadtimecalculator.com/ . That being said what do we do to put a stop to this? 

Highlighted
Connector

Organize. Present a united front.

Highlighted
Connector

TELUS is regulated by http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm . We do not want to go there just yet because it could be a software glitch and not deliberate. However threating to lodge an official complaint with the CRTC unless this is fixed and a credit to everyone's account for the mistake is done might wise them up?   

Highlighted
Advisor

For these kind of complaints you would log it with the CCTS, not the CRTC.  Telecom companies have to pay money to the CCTS every time and have to be dealt with promptly or they get fined even larger amounts.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

Highlighted
Connector

Thank you for the new information! It is greatly appreciated by everyone I am sure!

Highlighted
Connector

I think that I got their attention. I did not mention this forum at all but I do have a plan to resolve it from the advice posted here. I merely replied to a follow-up E-Mail with this comment -

This is not resolved - As I explained to process 278 GIG down and 74 GIG up in one day is impossible to do at my internet speed. Your measurements are wrong.

Now they want to talk to me! I also noticed that they have frozen my home internet usage for now so perhaps they are serious this time.   

Highlighted
Advisor

I was finally able to get the time to reach out to Telus Support on Chat.  Now my support person hadn't heard issues with Usage spikes, but he did say they have had issues recently where people were getting premature usage notifications when they weren't anywhere close to their max. 

I didn't even get a usage max e-mail myself since I've gotten the spike on Aug 23rd  Now at least he gave me his personal work e-mail to be able to follow up if I do get charged overages so he can credit them back.

Highlighted
Connector

I just spoke with TELUS support today on a followup call from them. On Aug 23 there was an issue with a spike in internet usage that was in error, and apologized for the inconvenience. He told me that this has now been fixed and that I will not be billed the $40 for over usage. I just hope that everyone's spike has been fixed and not just the people who complained? He told me that the corrected data usage will show up at the end of this billing cycle as previous usage. 

Highlighted
Advisor

@GM wrote:

I just spoke with TELUS support today on a followup call from them. On Aug 23 there was an issue with a spike in internet usage that was in error, and apologized for the inconvenience. He told me that this has now been fixed and that I will not be billed the $40 for over usage. I just hope that everyone's spike has been fixed and not just the people who complained? He told me that the corrected data usage will show up at the end of this billing cycle as previous usage. 

That's what I was worried about, I was certain it was a error on their part and wanted to just leave it for them to fix and not have to take the time to bug a Support person on a issue it seems was clearly effecting many people, but after a few weeks and it still wasn't fixed I wanted to at least reach out to say I was having the problem too so if they said I still had to pay overage fees I could escalate saying I tried the 1st tier support.

Highlighted
Organizer

Sounds a lot like my current problem.  Thanks for the CCTS link - I'll mention that when I'm in touch with them again this week.

Highlighted
Advisor

Just to note for those that have had this problem, my billing cycle ended on Saturday.

Up until Saturday, my usage will still over 1TB, on Sunday it goes through it's normal 'Usage Pending' at the end of the cycle, then today it's now showing a more normal usage of 258 GB for the cycle.

So it seems after the 'recalculation' at the end of the cycle, I had no overages.

Now I'm not sure if that was fixed because I contacted support to get my account looked at or not, but it does seem the issue did get resolved.  For me at least.

Highlighted
Organizer

I called in twice and I'm still getting a warning email every single day that says I've gone over the data usage lol

Resident

Have waited on hold 3 times for a grand total of 4 hours. Absolutely to no avail. Tried live chat, on telus website, and the little blue connection line never moved, nor started, and that has gone on for 3 hours also! Got a message a couple of days ago, saying I was close to my internet monthly usage. In the 2 years of being with Telus, my monthly average is 60 GB. Never gone over 100 on the 150GB plan. Got a loyalty discount in April that is good till April 2018. That only lasted a month, and my bill is back to the normal amount, which is $5.00 over the loyalty discount. Sitting here, decided to check my internet usage for an hour just to see what is being tacked on. So from 3:00pm-4:00pm September 23rd, I used 1GB within that hour. The only usage with in the hour was logging on to telus, and logging off. WTF? This is ridiculous! A Gigabit of usage for NO USAGE is beyond me. Guess it's time to complain and hopefully the matter gets resolved. How to waste a day, and get no where! Thanks Telus. Perhaps it's time to go elsewhere. Maybe the devil you don't know has more integrity than the devil you do know? I doubt it! 

Highlighted
Connector

I too got a massive internet usage spike and was charged 45 bucks for the overage. We went from @700gig a month to over 2300gigs in August. I got on the phone and was told some disturbing information that telus pulled a fast one with my internet usage and probably all the others who are intown and/or other towns.

They installed the optik fiber and we got the 50/10 and TV bundle package when it was introduced. Began to have problems with our son hoggin the internet and beginning to go over the 450gig cap. Phoned telus to change plans and we agreed that I was going to cut my TV down to just basic, home phone from 45/month to 15/month and get 150/150 internet for 85 and have unlimited thrown in for free. Great until I got the overage email last month then they added 45bucks charge on my bill. I phoned them to find out that now they installed this "Pure Fiber" that I don't have unlimited internet anymore and that I was getting a 15 dollar credit for it. WOW ever since Jan 2017 I've been paying 85 for my 150/150 internet and the bozo on the phone told me it went up to $100 and the 85 was with the $15 credit. If I go over again its too bad and I have to pay overage charges.

They also neglected to tell me that the 50/10 router T1200H bottlenecks the 150/150 and suppose to get the upgraded router. I find this out months after, got a overage charge and researched what the usage spike could be.

I at least got the upgraded T3200M out of them, the tech showed up yesterday and installed it but had no idea of the huge usage spike nor what it could have been.

There is no way that I'm finished with telus yet and them discontinuing unlimited internet, not telling me anything then handing me the middle finger to resolve this. It still says on their site that I can get unlimited, says in my telus web bill that I have unlimited internet but I sure as heck don't have unlimited.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I had thr same thing happen to me, regarding my iphone data usage.  Said I used 3000 MB in an hour to 2.5 hours.  I wasn't even on my phone except to check the weather and traffic.  So impossible!  I need to findout why so problem can be solved.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Oh and another thing.  I got the text saying I had used 50% and then 20 minutes later, that I had used 75%.   By the time another hour came and went I was up to 90% used.   Something weird is going on. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
On your iPhone, go to Settings>cellular, and you can see your consumption. You can also set which apps consume cellular data and which are restricted to Wi-Fi.
NFtoBC
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

How did this turn out?

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Yeah, I used 13 GB since January so 3 GB in and hour or two (who knows how accurate their usage tables are) is suspect.  This is a problem that is not mine, but I need to know what.  

The text warnings are supposed to be accurate and I recieved one saying I was 50% usage for the 5 days into the start date.  I thought that was weird.  Then 15 minutes later I get one for 75% used!  Then 8 minutes later, another one saying 90% used.  All the time I have no apps on.  There is nothing using a hotspot.  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You realize there was a new version of iOS published this month?  If you do not have it set to update over Wi-Fi only, that might have been the consumption.

NFtoBC