Red "fail" light on white Alcatel box. TV and Internet down.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I just signed up for the fiber optic TV and Internet plus home phone today.  No fiber optic service now. I reset everything,  and called in, and the tech said they couldn't help because they didn't have the information in their system updated so they had no advice after resetting it. I work from home so this is a huge blow and also very disappointing as I have been looking forward to my services being set up and now can't use them and there is no solution I can find. Is the optic fiber damaged?I need this fixed ASAP!!

No outages in my area either as I'm using my neighbors wifi

Please and thanks in advance for any help. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

This isn't something that regular troubleshooting will likely fix. Red lights usually mean something's up with the connection between the box and Telus. Call them and see if they can escalate it up to someone that can diagnose the issue.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

This isn't something that regular troubleshooting will likely fix. Red lights usually mean something's up with the connection between the box and Telus. Call them and see if they can escalate it up to someone that can diagnose the issue.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I already called twice they said it's not in their program yet. No idea why it wouldn't be.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

This should be pretty straight-forward. Make a call indicating that your fibre-based Internet was installed on <date> and has not been working since <date>. Step through the troubleshooting the CSR can offer, and when still no Internet, politely request a technician stop to get you Internet up and running.

If your neighbour is a friendly person, possibly a short term work-around might be to get a long Ethernet cable and run from his / her gateway  to your computer. Or continue to use the Wi-fi, and offer some neighbourly compensation.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Coach

Has this been resolved? I don't know what you mean by a "fail" light. Which light is red? Power or WAN? Test systems do not update on the day of install as the order must "drop" (complete) and a variety of data bases must be updated every night. My educated guess is that there is a problem with the fiber connections or drop line. In any case, red lights require a service visit. Refuse troubleshooting and insist on a dispatch.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I've been on the phone for 2 days straight to the point of trying to cancel my service. It's new equipment and no one in any appointment can help me. No one can even come look at it until Monday.  The red light literally just says fail, it's on the white box connected to the fiber. Trust me I've talked to very single department in the last 24 hours and until I went to sleep and from the moment I woke up I have been on the phone.  

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

The light on he white box is labeled "fail" I've been sent through to every department and have been on the phone since yesterday when it stopped working, except when I was sleeping. They can't get anyone to come until Monday.  My services where installed Thursday and I had them for an hour and now have to wait to even use them. No emergency techs will come out. Best I got was cancellation list and $100 credit on my account with no service for 4 days and no other solution.  I'm very frustrated as I work from home and I wasted countless hours on the phone with a different person each time.  I'm borrowing my neighbors WiFi to try and resolve this, my home phone which is copper isn't even working so it's a complete,  random, service failure with zero solution. The repair tech I spoke to said everything on his end says it's connected and has no idea why it's  it working. It 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ask them to check with Network Support (they don't speak with customers directly) and have them run checks on it. If it says Fail and isn't working, From what I understand, they should be able to see that it isn't online / isn't connected.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I already spent hours on the phone doing that today. Genuinely every department they could transfer me to, I was transferred to it.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I even got transferred to accounts as I was about to cancel my service. Still out Internet Thursday  (date of connection) until Monday.  No one can do anything to fix it. First thing I did was call for troubleshooting.  Even talked to the top tech he couldn't fix it didn't know what was wrong. Called the tech who installed it she didn't know what was wrong couldn't make it out. I was very firm I'd like it fixed by tomorrow at the latest but nothing. Somehow I'm still a customer right now.

Ready to rage quithe after these last 2 days.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, specially since you needed the Internet for work.  Are you the first to have FTTH service in your neighborhood? I will have to ask the tech when they come to install mine in a few weeks. 

Highlighted

Sorry to hear that @SureJan and that's unusual as experiences go. You may need to call in and request the matter to be escalated so that they can further investigate the matter.

Resident
I have the same problem. Internet and phone has been down for 2 days and service call isn't scheduled for another 4. Days! Really bad service. My mom is83 and we are dependent on the phone for medical emergencies. I hope mom doesn't have another heart attack while the phone is NFG! I've been a Telus customer since 1983! Things have gotten progressively worse over the years. I am phoning Shaw in the AM as this is unacceptable!
Highlighted
Coach

PM me with your tel number. I will see what's going on and what the dispatch status is. And a few other questions too.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Unfortunately still not resolved. 5 days now including the day of installation with zero service. The tech said on the phone it might be the optical cable but my home phone isn't working either. Tech didn't show up today as she was trying to fit me in between appointments but I didn't hear back

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Make sure you have a confirmed appointment with Telus. Call and confirm a date and time.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

@WestCoasterBC wrote:
Make sure you have a confirmed appointment with Telus. Call and confirm a date and time.

I've set up 2 but apparently  neither are confirmed with them and no one has helped at all.

Very frustrated right now. I've spent more time on he phone on hold and without service as a Telus customer than I have actually using th3 service 

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

And on the phone all morning AGAIN (95% on hold listening to Carly Rae Jepson and that summer breeze cover that will never leave my head, for the hundredth time) because the appointments I made weren't even in the system due to a "miscommunication" about me setting up with the tech directly which I tried to do but she couldn't because they didn't schedule her in for it. Even with an escalation, five days later,  the soonest they can come out is MAYBE tomorrow morning and again I'm on the cancellation list. 

Was already guaranteed a fix by Monday at the latest so I wouldn't cancel my account and here we are on Tuesday, still waiting at least one more day. This is honestly ridiculous and the most frustrating service I have ever attempted to sign up for. If this doesn't get fixed today I'm done. I'll live with Shaw. I'm a very patient and gentle person but I am so angry and upset at this right now. 

Highlighted
Neighbour
If it's any reason like mine, I also have the fail light on. Telus will cut the internet off as soon as you're late for a payment or a payment isn't made on time. Billing period fell on holidays so my payment has still yet to be processed and it's been on fail for longer than a week now. I've talked to them about it and everything, and that's the problem on why my fail light is on at least