I had telus 150/150 installed recently.
I have done speedtests on 2 laptops and my phone. Since we got it installed, it has been going slow.
phone on 5g: got around 80-90 mbps download
same phone on 2.4g: ranges from 30-50mbps
both laptops on 2.4g (no 5g available, but it is wireless n capable): ranging from 25-50mbps.
I also tried connecting my laptop directly with a 5e ethernet cord and got around 94 mpbs download and upload (it is supposed to be able to handle gigabit speeds).
While doing these tests, i have been very close to the telus router.
Does anyone know why it could be going slow? When telus came and checked it out, he tried the 5g on his phone and it was going around 160mbps, but the 2.4g was going around 20mbps for him. Our laptops are what we primarily use for internet so it's kind of a waste if we can't get the proper speeds to work. 2.4 ghz should be able to get 150mbps or at least close though, right?
Is there anything I can try to resolve this?
Any help is appreciated.
There are too many things in your local electromagnetic environment, and with regard to your devices to address speeds over Wi-Fi, so really. unless you are prepared to assess and build a very tight Wi-Fi network which is not affected by surrounding Wi-Fi, microwave ovens, etc., speed tests over Wi-Fi have little value.
Ethernet connected devices should show speeds near the promised rates, and sometimes over, and is the most reliable way to see the speeds you expect.
Finally, 150/150 is really meant for high volume users with many connections, not one connection trying to hit the peak. Most suppliers on the Internet are unable to fill a 150 Mbps pipe, but multiple users on your connection should see less impacts to their downloads than in the past.
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
- Thanks for the reply!
Quick question though: Why would the telus tech's phone get 5g wifi at the correct rate (around 150 mbps compared to my phone at around 80-90 mbps on 5g)? Also, it still doesn't solve why the ethernet is going slower (90ishmbps vs 150 mbps) so I feel like something is still not right. Is there anything else I can try? I'm not expecting for it to be at exactly at 150, but something is not right.
Interesting. When I bought the laptop (still have the specs sheet) it says 10/100/1000, but i just checked the actual speed/duplex thing and it only goes to 100mb. At least that clears up that part of it for the wired stuff. Thanks!
Hi there. For what it's worth I found the same thing and got around to "fixing" it today. I have an Apple Airport Extreme router. I realized that when I disabled my 2GHz band, my speed was around 150/150 - as soon as I enabled it again the speeds dropped to around 30/10.
This is a real bummer because I have Airport Expresses that connect on the 2GHz band - so I'm not what sure to do about that.
Anyhow, I hope that helps!
be aware in which server you connect while performing speedtests on web browsers, and that the app itself is some code on a page.
The most reliable test for your speed you can do is an iperfv3 test, but it requires you to be a little more tech savvy.
Remember that the speedtest is always limited on the bandwith of the computer you test against as well. this is the test from my home using iperf v3 on my GigE plan