Re hooking up Wirelss modem after Reno

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

ychris
Neighbour

I have done some reno work in my livingroom so I had to move my wireless router and re run the Cat5 cables. Now when I download my TV picture goes all choppy and I loose my wireless often. My guess is I put some wires in the wrong spot when I hooked it back up. What is the diagram for hooking up my Cat5 cables?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Which modem do you have, and do you have a Fibre installation?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
ychris
Neighbour

I have a Actiontec t1200h.

ychris
Neighbour

Yes it is a Fiber set up. I put the main cat5 into the wan connection, but everything still drops off and my internet is slower then previous.

Community Power User
Community Power User

So, is there a possibility the cable may have been damaged during the renovation? It could still work, but at a lower speed.

Yes, the Cat5e should run from the ONT to the WAN connection, another to the Access Point for the Wireless TV and one more to the PVR.

If you can temporarily move the router near the ONT,  and connect the two with a fresh cable, then check your speed, that will rule out the cable issue. Then we can proceed to next steps.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"