cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Range Extender

Jared
Neighbour

I currently have Optik TV with 150 internet.  I would like to replace my Actiontec WEB6000Q range extender with something better.  Something that can allow me to attach a hard drive to to watch movies etc off of, and potentially give me better quality WiFi.  It will be connected via Ethernet cable, and I have one wireless TV.  Any suggestions, or anything in particular I should be looking for in a router, I don't mind spending a bit as we have many connected devices in our household.  Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Which Telus gateway do you have currently? T2200? If you have fiber, the newer T3200 gateways have the range extender built in, and better wireless range and speed. That may be an option to explore first as it's the lowest cost thing (free). 

Most extenders are simply just extenders. I'm not familiar with any that allow you to connect a hard drive to them. You can attach a drive to a supported device (computer, TV, router, etc) but functionality and support varies greatly by device. If you have a fairly large house or some dead spots, mesh networking may work better for extended range though it has a limitation on speed. Telus has a rather decently priced option for PureFiber customers. Try the new gateway above first to see if that'll meet your needs 🙂

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I have the new T3200 gateway which was placed in my garage. At the time of installation the special offer they had on included the range extender (Web6000Q). Recently we've been having issues with the 5G connection coming from that range extender, and thought it might be better to replace it.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Where is the range extender located? Is it just connected to the T3200 with ethernet? If yes you could in theory plug the ethernet direct to the fiber ONT in the garage and move the T3200 to where the range extender is.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

The problem there is that in the house there were ethernet cables already run for TVs and they all came out in one place in the garage. That's why I only have one box that is wireless.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ouch. Well the option would be to either replace the extender or upgrade. I'd call Telus and see if they can swap the extender, especially if your wireless Optik box is running off it.

Okay, I will give them a call and see about replacing it. However if I was to upgrade it is there anything in particular I would be looking for so that it could control the wireless box?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You don't, by chance have TWO Ethernet cables running from the Garage to a central point in your house? If so, you could run one line from the ONT in the garage to the router in a central location then back to the garage to a switch and out to the rest of the house.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jared wrote:

Something that can allow me to attach a hard drive to to watch movies etc off of, and potentially give me better quality WiFi. 

The Telus router is a poor choice to for connecting a network accessible drive. I suggest either purchasing a true NAS, or creating a share on one of your computers which you can leave running. If I recall, any HDD attached to an Actiontec router needs to be formatted FAT 32.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"