QoS available on Actiontec T3200M?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

Does anyone know if the Actiontec T3200M even has QoS functionality? And if so how,  how can that be enabled? I have googled it, read the Actiontec manual, scoured the Telus gateway for the right menu, looked through this forum, but nothing. None of the staff at Telus (that I have been able to get on the phone, anyway) have been able to shed any light either.

Also, I need to be able to do real time throttling by device. And with a dynamic IP, I guess that means access using MACs. I can see all of the MACs from my gateway, but see no way to manage them.

Hope someone has a solution or some guidance. Thanks for any help!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Unfortunately Qos settings/throttling are not available on the 3200 to the end user. You're best to purchase your own router that supports those functions and put the 3200 into bridge mode.

You will then have full control over your network. Most of us let the actiontec handle the optik tv portion, enable bridge mode and offload everything else to our own routers for better control.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Connector
Thank you for your reply, but a second router won't work for me. I have no place to put it without it looking ugly (exposed cabling etc), or having a new Ethernet port installed so I can hardwire in an unobtrusive spot in my home.

The expense of a second router (and on top of it another functional Ethernet port) are too high to justify the benefits I seek from QoS. I may check Shaw to see if they have QoS natively on their routers, or may just leave it altogether. Thanks for at least shedding some light though.
Highlighted
Connector
Oh, one more thing, sorry. It seems like the entry level Actiontec T1000 (?) can do QoS. Seems odd to me that a higher end model wouldn't have at least all of the functionality of a lower model, plus more. I suppose it's just sour grapes on my part 😉
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Routers don't have to be ugly. One i use http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_Touch-P5.html

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Connector
Oh, that's not too bad. At first glance, the interface looks kinda dumbed down though. Does it still expose enough functionality to meet your bridging needs?

Still not sure if I would shell out the $130+ to buy it. Not that I'm being a cheapskate but I don't subscribe to Optik or any other TV service. Chromecast, Netflix, and my little $20 OTA antenna from Best Buy are all I need. The reason for my QoS question in the first place is I have tenants downstairs, a couple of college students who are sucking up bandwidth like margaritas on a winter getaway! 😉

PS: Gave you a like, thank you for being so prompt and helpful.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
The GUI is if you don't want to log into a computer you can configure most common functions from the display. It has all the functions you need (new dlink routers are dumbed down with no advanced settings).

The advanced interface has every option and configuration you'd want to manage your network. You could cut their internet right off at certain times or make it unbearably slow. You would have total control of your connection and how you want to share it.

I would be cautious sharing your wifi as ultimately you're responsible for the connection and what content is downloaded.

Highlighted
Connector

Thanks for your help, I'll give it some thought. Cheers!

Highlighted
Resident

hello, I have the T3200 from our ISP... but we already had, still have a wireless router which all devices are already setup on, with mac addresses, access control, etc. - I did not change any settings on the T3200 or our router... our separate router appears to be on the T3200 network as full-duplex... (see first screenshot below...

Never doing it, can you explain what bridge mode would do?  would that prevent the wireless signal from randomly cutting out, until we turn the wifi (from our router) off/on again?  Also, is it easy to switch it back to the setting it was before?

T3200-router-fullduplex.png

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Full duplex means the connection can communicate in both directions at the same time. That's a good thing and the default setting for modern day devices. Half-duplex would mean the device can only send or receive at any one time but not both.

If you bridge port 1 that basically means the device would get it's own external IP address and won't be able to see or access anything else connected to the T3200. Switching back from being bridged will require a factory reset of the T3200 which would clear all settings on it back to defaults.

Bridging things won't impact the wireless connection or its stability. Each device will have their own wireless network like they do already. Are you having problems with your wireless connection? If yes, which device? If the T3200, make sure SmartSteering is shut off in the modem wifi settings. If enabled (default) that can cause intermittent disconnects when switching wireless frequences (2.4 vs 5). If it's on your own router, that's different.

Many of us that do have our own routers connected to the T3200 have not bridged the port on the T3200. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂