Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PureFiber 300

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
So it's been announced. https://www.telus.com/en/bc/deals/content/internet-300

Is this available where Telus 150 and 250 is available?

Do they bond two 150 cables together?

Can the T3200m handle the faster speeds?

What is symmetry? https://twitter.com/TELUSNews/status/1017544956766851072
7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suspect it won't be available in all areas right away.

They won't bond fibre as a single fibre can handle more than a gigabit. They only had to bond copper because the speeds on the copper lines were too slow in some areas.

They use the T3200 on the gigabit installs so it should handle 300 just fine.

Symmetry is 300 / 300 as stated in the first part of the tweet. The opposite of symmetrical is Shaw at 300 / 20. It's sad that cable can't offer good upload speeds...

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

They won't bond fibre as a single fibre can handle more than a gigabit. They only had to bond copper because the speeds on the copper lines were too slow in some areas.

Symmetry is 300 / 300 as stated in the first part of the tweet. The opposite of symmetrical is Shaw at 300 / 20. It's sad that cable can't offer good upload speeds...

It's even more sad that a company as popular and mainstream as Shaw hasn't bothered to implement proper FTTH connectivity instead of relying on its old cable-based solution, albeit still calling their Internet services "fibre". Like, if they want to compete with TELUS, they have to up their game instead of relying on old solutions that are starting to become obsolete. 

Also, PureFibre 300 is already available in the area I reside in, so it probably won't be long until its available in all or the majority of areas that have PureFibre.

@KamranMackey wrote:

@Nighthawk wrote:

It's even more sad that a company as popular and mainstream as Shaw hasn't bothered to implement proper FTTH connectivity instead of relying on its old cable-based solution, albeit still calling their Internet services "fibre". Like, if they want to compete with TELUS, they have to up their game instead of relying on old solutions that are starting to become obsolete. 

Also, PureFibre 300 is already available in the area I reside in, so it probably won't be long until its available in all or the majority of areas that have PureFibre.

Shaw should be upgrading their infrastructure to fiber to the home as well because coaxial cable doesn't compare with the capacity and speeds fiber offers. Previously, coaxial cable was superior to Telus's twisted pair infrastructure but that changed when Telus invested in their network by upgrading their infrastructure so customers could benefit from fiber to the home. 2 different network systems, 2 different wiring systems and 2 different companies vying for Western Canada's home Internet market. Internet 300/300 & Internet 15/15 must represent a small percentile of the overall home Internet market compared to the popular choices of customers being Internet 25/25, 75/75 & 150/150.

@KamranMackey wrote:

@Nighthawk wrote:

I kind of feel bad for Shaw.  They are stuck with this copper infrastructure then have poured a bunch of money into upgrading to DOCSIS. For awhile they were much better than Telus DSL.  Now Telus has leapfrogged them with a far superior technology. They have rapidly expanded it in to most markets that Shaw also serves.  It caused me to switch and I was a loyal Shaw customer for many years.  Their service can't compete and spending billions to upgrade to FTTH will only be able to match Telus but won't really improve on it.  So the only thing that accomplishes is to stop the bleeding. 

samiam
Coach

I have the T3200 and I am getting 300/300.  It's actually more like 330/280 using speedtest.net

@samiam wrote:

I have the T3200 and I am getting 300/300.  It's actually more like 330/280 using speedtest.net

See what your results are when using the speed test tool built into the T3200M.

Capture.JPG

@Exhile wrote:

@samiam wrote:

See what your results are when using the speed test tool built into the T3200M.

Capture.JPG

That gives me the same thing speedtest.net gives.  330/280.