cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with printers and wireless connection

b1791
Neighbour

I switched from Shaw to Telus a couple months ago and one of my printers is not able to print wirelessly at all even after trying to set it up at least a half dozen times (HP1102W wireless laser printer). My other printer (Brother inkjet) has to have the wireless connection resetup at least 3 or 4 times a week. I've had these printers for a few years and never had a problem when I was on Shaw. I have the Actiontec T2200H modem and the wireless extender. Any ideas what I can try to get these printers working properly?

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Printers are much easier to manage when connected by ethernet to the hub. I have no problem with mine set up that way, though I know many who have had problems trying to get them set up wirelessly.

If you can set the printers to be connected to the gateway by ethernet I suggest you try that option.

Make sure the IP addresses of the printers are outside the assignment pool of the printers

Set the printers to static IP addresses, so they do not get reassigned different IP addresses.

@Nighthawk may have more suggestions.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

b1791
Neighbour

Unfortunately I'm not able to put the printers next to the modem and they're on a different floor of my house so I can't connect them directly to my computer so the only option is wireless connection. I'll look up how to change the IP address to static. Thanks.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are also lots of resources on the Internet, some of which describe the frustrations of connecting this printer wirelessly. Some clear videos as well for both Mac and Windows machines.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

b1791
Neighbour

Thanks, I'll look for those videos. Appreciate your help.

Lindalea
Neighbour

I also just switched from Shaw to telus and can't get my printer to print -HP Envy 6740, does anyone have any suggestions? I sure could use some help here.

The only way I could get my printer to act properly was to unplug the wifi extender that Telus had attached to the modem. After that, no problems at all.

Where do I find the extender or maybe a better question is, what does it look like, if I know what it is, I'll sure give that a try!!

It kind of looks like the modem, just a little smaller. My Telus tech had put it right on top of the modem.

Thank you so much for your reply. There are two small boxes sitting on top of the modem, I'll have to figure out which one is the correct one. It's so difficult not being tech savvy!!!

The extender I removed had the model number WCB-3000N on it. Hope that helps 🙂