cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sending email using Outlook when travelling

jmhyyc
Just Moved In

For years, I have had no problem using Outlook anywhere in the world, using outgoing server smtp.telus.com and port 1025.  Within the last few months, however, something has changed on the Telus end and I can no longer send email through Outlook when I am away from my "home" environment.  The error message is "...reported error (0x800CCC6F): 'Your outgoing (SMTP) email server has reported an internal error.  If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP).  The server responded: 554 mtlp000084 cmsmtp ESMTP server not available'. 

This problem is occurring on three different Telus accounts and two different Outlook clients (2007 and O365).  Telus support has not been helpful, suggesting I should try the "Plus" level of support, who want to charge me $120 to investigate the problem.  Suggestions to move away from Telus mail or to rely on webmail are also not useful.  Can anybody suggest what is going on here?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have experienced similar while still connected to Telus' network, but travelling outside my region. However I do not use Outlook, which suggests the issue is wider than your experience. One solution I have found it to use a gmail account's smtp server for outgoing mail, as it seems to bypass a lot of difficulties. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Thanks for the response.  I can send using the Gmail server but the problem is that it arrives at the recipient with my gmail account address on it, not the Telus one, which is the one I want to use.  Hopefully somebody else will have a suggestion. It's really frustrating that this problem suddenly comes up after having worked for all these years, and nobody at Telus can help!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You should still be able to set your "Reply-to" as your Telus address, even if setting up additional outgoing  servers for your emails. I know I can in Mac Mail.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Cherns
Coach

Does this problem occur every time you try to send mail from Outlook when you're on the road, or just in some places? When I have had problems like this, it has been because of the ISP that I'm trying to use on the road--some of them will allow smtp access only for their own customers, and/or restrict the use of some ports.  It was a kind of Catch-22--Telus wouldn't accept smtp from the foreign ISP (presumably some sort of anti-spam-relay precaution), and the ISP wouldn't allow me to use their own smtp server. Sorry I can't be more specific--it's been a number of years. I remember that I was able to solve the problem by using GMail's smtp server and port with my Outlook Express, even though the I wasn't using a GMail account.

Congaman-Stu
Just Moved In

I had the same issue - Summer 2017.  I did not want to incur roaming charges so I turned off Cell Data and used wifi for a month.   TELUS email didn't work on my iphone so I had to use Webmail.   ...  that is until the day I turned on cell data for GPS directions.  As if by magic, my outgoing email started sending. However, only some, not all the messages sent.   The remainder sent within a few minutes of landing back in Canada.   

Clearly TELUS has issues authenticating passwords outsidwe their own network.