cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing New Garage for New Service from the Pole...

SchneiderIS
Just Moved In

I am in the process of building a new detached garage.  The plan is to run power and communications (Internet) into the garage and then from there underground into the house.  The service is coming off a pole.  What I would like to do is prepare the garage though since the service won’t be run until after it is stucco’d.

Does anyone know how Telus will come into the garage, where they come in, how they come in or any means such as conduit that they would look for?  If conduit then what parameters (diameter and maximum bend) for a Pure Fibre installation?

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How are you managing the power entry? If simply through the wall to the breaker panel, you can parallel that with your Fibre install. Telus will need to place a demarcation box on your garage at the point where the Fibre changes from that strung on the poles to the type to / through your garage. The fibre can accept a bend with a radius of about 2.5 inches, and could exit through the rear of the box into the garage.

If you are planning to take the fibre directly to your house, without a connection in your garage, this document should give you some idea.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

MikeS68
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

This is exactly what I did when I built my place.  'Plan' was to have conduit on the top of the garage to the electrical wallboard on the wall (where the electrical panel was mounted as well) and then conduit from the garage into the house (I actually ran 5 conduits into the house so that I could separate services and ensure no one provider would interfere with the other whether it was Internet, phone, electrical, etc...).  I also run my own network from the house out to the garage as I am old school and prefer wired network over WiFi.  I do have more providers than just Telus bringing services into my house.

Note that 'Plan' was in quotes and now I'll get to the reasoning, I did exactly that and thought that when Telus comes out to run my new service (whether it was copper or fiber which by the way I can tell you it started out as copper and became fiber 3 years later however that is a different story).  Needless to say when they got here the first thing they said to me was that they cannot run the service into the garage and when I asked why, they said that it is a locked premise and they need unfettered access.  I was of course a little surprised by this given that would be the last thing I would want is for anyone to be able to come out and have unfettered access to the my property and assets.

Anyways, the short version is that ultimately we (the builder and I ) had to do some extra work to get them to run the cabling through the garage and into the house through the pre-existing conduit I ran.  The builder went so far as to ask what their standard was so that he could follow it for future builds; well let's just say it didn't work out as he had hoped.

I would recommend to you that you have the builder with you when Telus comes out to install the service.  That way if you do need to make any adjustments on the fly to get the service installed that day, you can.

Regards,

Mike.

@MikeS68 wrote:

Hi,

Needless to say when they got here the first thing they said to me was that they cannot run the service into the garage and when I asked why, they said that it is a locked premise and they need unfettered access.  I was of course a little surprised by this given that would be the last thing I would want is for anyone to be able to come out and have unfettered access to the my property and assets.

Anyways, the short version is that ultimately we (the builder and I ) had to do some extra work to get them to run the cabling through the garage and into the house through the pre-existing conduit I ran.  The builder went so far as to ask what their standard was so that he could follow it for future builds; well let's just say it didn't work out as he had hoped.

Regards,

Mike.

This does not make sense, what is the difference between a locked house and a locked garage? Is TELUS saying they want to ONT in a heated but unsecured area.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@rc wrote:

This does not make sense, what is the difference between a locked house and a locked garage? Is TELUS saying they want to ONT in a heated but unsecured area.

I believe Telus wants a point of demarcation on the exterior of the building where they can make a physical disconnect without entry. My neighbourhood has underground utilities - the point of demarcation for Fibre is in the roadside telecommunications sump, but the point of demarcation for telephone is a box on the exterior of the dwelling.

The ONT is in my crawlspace.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

MikeS68
Friendly Neighbour

That does make sense however they could not articulate their position thus leading to the situation we had encountered.  On top of that our services are above ground off the pole in the back lane 10' from our car garage door.

Regards,

Mike.