Power Up. Your wireless Home Network

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Rockstar

Is worthy to keep or buy a New Router- with the increase on the Internet & Wi-Fi rates.?? - New devices mean you're going to need more bandwidth, more options & more controls. The one thing everyone needs these days is connectivity. What do you think about.

Maybe you got a whole whack of new wireless devices, over the holidays and now you need to find a way to connect them to the Internet..Read more about this ROUTER article by the Globe and Mail on Dec-29-2014-link provided. 45 Comments.

Questions: 1) It's worthy to have a Router.? When Telecoms & other Internet providers, will start to charge for it. 2) Should we buy only the Router brands advised by Telecoms or should be our choice. Comments welcome! <v9>>  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/

ATTENTION--Latest activity: Thanks to the ROCK Stars..Nighthawk >> I'll keep in mind-Cited just the (Article related to..) @nasty >> Great keep control of Ur Home.Network. Thks for important inputs.

The aim is to discuss the cost-PROS & CONS of a "Home Wireless Network" INTERNET Rates will increase. I could be wrong, but I heard the Telecoms-will start charging the usage-access of Wi-Fi too. Anybody knows the latest-Posted it. More replies welcome! @v9 

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

@v9   could be wrong, but I heard the Telecoms-will start charging the usage-access of Wi-Fi too. Anybody knows the latest-Posted it.

-------------

Here's a few greedy companies. Some will use various tricks to try and prevent the end user using their own modem and router. Mandating a company unit. Accidentally and repeatedly start charging for a customer owned unit.  Strange incidences of what some may call attempted hacking by the ISP to disrupt customer owned equipment. Customer owned cable modem gets a new ISP firmware file update and haha with a bricking with no damages paid to the customer. 

time warner cable

To clarify, a $4.95 fee is charged for home wifi ONLY if you are leasing a wifi router from TWC or if you are leasing a MODEM from us that has wifi capabilities AND you are using those wifi capabilities. If you have your own modem and your own wireless router, you should not have to pay a modem lease fee or a Home Wifi fee

mediacom

add wireless home networking to your always faster internet service $3.95 a month

atlanticbroadband

Wireless Home Networking costs $10.00/month
It is included at no extra cost with our most popular Get it All Bundles.

atmc

Wi-Fi Home Networking
With ATMC's Wi-Fi Home Networking service, you can wirelessly connect PCs, laptops, Smartphones, iPad or gaming devices to the Internet. And, unlike the wireless routers sold in retail stores, ATMC will provide you with a heavy-duty wireless modem/router combination, ongoing technical support, and we'll help you manage the service for as long as you subscribe. If you have a problem, just call us and we'll get you going again in no time! All of this for only $4.95 per month.*

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That's simply one giant advertisement for a handful of expensive routers. (Try posting the link to the article and not the entire tech section of the newspaper.) Nothing in it will be of benefit as it's advertising some of the more expensive devices where you can get better results from much cheaper ones.

Most users honestly don't have any idea what they need and will buy a big shiny router that is way overpriced and is serious overkill. Most cases even a basic $30 router or the one from Telus will be fine. Wired is better than wireless either way.

You don't need a new router in most cases. 

1. The bottleneck will primarily be the internet connection itself. Even basic 802.11n is 54mbps and up to 900mbps. The next bottleneck will be the device itself (PC, phone, tablet etc). Most people don't get the expensive ones and the slower ones have limits on how fast they can read or write data.
  2. AC routers are not needed unless you have an 802.11ac wireless card in your devices and even then, they are overkill. See point 1.
  3. Most ISPs provide combo modem/router gateways currently and they are typically sufficient for most users. In some cases you may be able to use your own with them. ISPs aren't going to recommend any routers other than what they provide and they sure are not going to offer support for them. Any user that has their own router will be on their own if there are any problems.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Rockstar

I have all my own hardware. Not dealing with potential flaky ISP hardware. My Internal network is mine and no one but me can get at it and modify it.  A percentage of users can hardly figure out what to do when a website won't load for whatever reason, so an ISP gateway is all that they will ever know.

The new Actiontec T1200H/T2200H,  is a great improvement over the old Actiontecs. Port1 bridge is a good way for the user to get some freedom to use their own network setup, without being locked into ISP LAN restrictions.

ISP's that charge on a rental modem/gateways are just greedy. Instead of including the modem in the price, they make 'below the line fees' to gouge the customer. Allows for an advertised price of $X, while the real price is $XY. False advertising is not prosecuted enough.

Telus still has a line on the bill for modem rental. Will they ever try to implement a charge? Only Telus knows in its long term plan.

There are $60 routers with 5Ghz available simultaneously with 2.4Ghz. TP-Link WDR4300 is one of them. Now considered to be last years model, but still works for what the standard user needs.  Flash DD-WRT on and get more functions.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@v9 wrote:

ATTENTION--Latest activity: Thanks to the [ROCK Stars..Nighthawk >>I'll.Keep In.Mind-cited-just the.Article related to..) & nasty>>Great keep.Control of Ur Ho..Network)] Thks for important inputs.

The aim is to discuss the cost-PROS & CONS of a "Home Wireless Network" INTERNET Rates will increase. I could be wrong, but I heard the Telecoms-will start charging the usage-access of Wi-Fi too. Anybody knows the latest-Posted it. More replies welcome! @v9 

If you're looking for a discussion, I invite you to join it by posting replies intead of editing your original post and adding to it instead. That's how a forum works. You'll also find that with so few people posting here, a discussion will be difficult. You should try posting on Reddit.

Pros and cons of a "Home Wireless Network"? Why not simply just ask the question instead or search Google. There's only 6.27 million search results for it.

As for your other statement, where are you hearing about the potential that ISPs are planning to charge for wireless access or use? (Please post sources) Google can't even find anything regarding that, even in the US. ISPs have no control over the wireless and no way to monitor wireless bandwidth versus hardwired and the consumer revolt will hurt them bad if they ever tried it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Rockstar

@Nighthawk wrote:

@v9 wrote:

ATTENTION--Latest activity: Thanks to the [ROCK Stars..Nighthawk >> I'll.Keep In.Mind-cited-just the.Article related to..) & nasty>> Great keep.Control of Ur Ho..Network)] Thks for important inputs.

The aim is to discuss the cost-PROS & CONS of "Home Wireless Networks" INTERNET Rates will increase. I could be wrong, but I heard the Telcos-will start charging the usage-access of Wi-Fi too. Anybody knows the latest-Posted it. More replies welcome! @v9 

If you're looking for a discussion, I invite you to join it by posting replies intead of editing your original post and adding to it instead. That's how a forum works. You'll also find that with so few people posting here, a discussion will be difficult. You should try posting on Reddit.

Pros and cons of a "Home Wireless Network"? Why not simply just ask the question instead or search Google. There's only 6.27 million search results for it.

As for your other statement, where are you hearing about the potential that ISPs are planning to charge for wireless access or use? (Please post sources) Google can't even find anything regarding that, even in the US. ISPs have no control over the wireless and no way to monitor wireless bandwidth versus hardwired and the consumer revolt will hurt them bad if they ever tried it.

Thks @Nighthawk again. Re: 1) Latest activity of my post. My first reaction after 1st reply is answer. At times I rather type a thankful note. But I usually wait for an "X#-replies" then I make a closing statement.

2) Agree that no quickly answers are provided. 3) As for Reddit is an interesting Site. 4) Charge for Wi-fy I red out a post here-Can't find it. Hey! Nighthawk & nasty-Are you ready for my next post.? Faster Canadian ISP...

VERY Latest activity. Just sent the above thread, when I return found nasty latest reply, good stuff--There're some charges already on the usage of Wi-Fi. Thx nasty I'll re-read your script. Let's Stay Tuned! <<v9>

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

@v9   could be wrong, but I heard the Telecoms-will start charging the usage-access of Wi-Fi too. Anybody knows the latest-Posted it.

-------------

Here's a few greedy companies. Some will use various tricks to try and prevent the end user using their own modem and router. Mandating a company unit. Accidentally and repeatedly start charging for a customer owned unit.  Strange incidences of what some may call attempted hacking by the ISP to disrupt customer owned equipment. Customer owned cable modem gets a new ISP firmware file update and haha with a bricking with no damages paid to the customer. 

time warner cable

To clarify, a $4.95 fee is charged for home wifi ONLY if you are leasing a wifi router from TWC or if you are leasing a MODEM from us that has wifi capabilities AND you are using those wifi capabilities. If you have your own modem and your own wireless router, you should not have to pay a modem lease fee or a Home Wifi fee

mediacom

add wireless home networking to your always faster internet service $3.95 a month

atlanticbroadband

Wireless Home Networking costs $10.00/month
It is included at no extra cost with our most popular Get it All Bundles.

atmc

Wi-Fi Home Networking
With ATMC's Wi-Fi Home Networking service, you can wirelessly connect PCs, laptops, Smartphones, iPad or gaming devices to the Internet. And, unlike the wireless routers sold in retail stores, ATMC will provide you with a heavy-duty wireless modem/router combination, ongoing technical support, and we'll help you manage the service for as long as you subscribe. If you have a problem, just call us and we'll get you going again in no time! All of this for only $4.95 per month.*

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@nasty- You forgot Comcast. They're now charging $10/mo for modem rentals.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I think 25 years ago.....  internet providers WERE charging for wifi routers.  But started bundling the service as an incentive over time.  Going back to charging does not make sense.  However.... the free wifi was usually one generation behind.  Not an issue when most interent connections were slower than the top speed of wifi.  Before investing in a new router... you need to subscribe to a matching internet speed package.  Otherwise high speed routers are only good for those with file/media servers within their homes.

Also just because you have 802.11n or 802.11ac... Does your devices support it?  If it's only 802.11g.... you are wasting your money for minimial benefits.  Got a laptop?  Are you going to want a 802.11ac adapter wasting a USB port?

Personally the only wifi mods I did was to replace the stock antennas with 12dbi versions.  Significant improvements to signal reliability around the home.