cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding

Jankpom
Neighbour

I have decent tech understanding 😜

Need to open a port to provide a remote service. I went into our wireless action tech 3200 and changed the port forwarding config but the ports are showing as closed still. We are testing with other computers and port test sites. We also have the Alcatel luscent optic signal convertor but our Telus tech said that shouldn't be relevant. Any ideas? Thx!

7 REPLIES 7

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

What external port number are you trying to use? Some of them on residential connections are blocked, including port 80.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

port 8465 and we are trying higher ports 48000 and lower 90 seemingly to no avail.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Higher ones should not be blocked other than 6667. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

seems the software is opening the ports but not the manually change attempts.  we're still using the dynamically given ip 192... etc. just while testing.

tried using port mapper for upnp and same results.  Seems to read the config properly and take the changes but the manually configured ports aren't opened for our tests or via a website, whereas, for example, the ports opened via the software we are using are opening. 

"Since that router has a ethernet port for its wan port I assume you have some other device/modem in the house you are plugging it into. If that other device is actually a router then you must port forward in both. You could try to plug you PC directly into the "modem" and see what if any ports are open. If it is a dumb modem it should not block anything and the program should see ports on your PC. If not then you need to check to see if the modem has a way to block ports or worst case the ISP is doing something. Some ISP especially wireless broadband have gone to using private ip addresses which mean they have a NAT router and there is no way to port forward on those systems."

Am I needing maybe to also port forward with the alcatel?

think i got it, I got rid of the xbox config settings, not sure if that helped and then started from scratch. Reversed the numbers in the software we are using.  Not sure what did it.