cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi performance to Actiontec 2200 router

PaulTurnbull1
Just Moved In
Just upgraded our internet to TELUS 100... seeing >104Mbps download and >50Mbps upload on both RJ45 connected devices and on my Mac laptop over wifi... however testing the download and upload speeds for wireless devices (aka cellphones) shows no more than 20Mbps download and >40Mbps upload.. I can reproduce the same results on iPhone 6/7 and 8..

Our router is set to mixed G+N wireless with auto channel set...

Anybody else seeing this type of behaviour?

If a look a little closer it seems that the iPhones are only connecting to the wireless router at 55Mbps (essentially wireless G).

Anybody have any suggestions on how to improve Wi-Fi performance to iPhones?

Thanks to all who respond.

Paul.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Default modem settings have the 2200 set for 802.11b/g/n. Can be changed to g+n or just n. The 2200 has fewer antennae and a max wireless throughput of 300mbps across all wireless devices. The available speed is the theoretical maximum for the router and that doesn't mean each device can get the full max speed. It's usually split between the connected devices and can be impacted by other environmental factors in your home. Older wireless devices, even using 802.11n, may not have the ability to connect to the newer faster 802.11n variants at full speed or even 5GHz networks at all. The 3200 has multiple antennas for each band and a far higher total wireless bandwidth available on 2.4GHz. 5GHz has far far faster connectivity. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Upgrade to a T3200? Though if you have some slower / older devices on the wireless network, that could slow things down for the rest even with a newer modem. On the T3200, 5GHz wireless usually gives full speed as 802.11g is not included in that frequency.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

TELUS has a T3200? They told me when I upgraded that I already had their fastest router..

Having said that it still doesn’t explain why an iPhone that should be capable of wireless N seems to only be connecting at a wireless G speed.

I guess I will jump back on the phone and ask them to send out their latest modem.

Thanks,

P.

Default modem settings have the 2200 set for 802.11b/g/n. Can be changed to g+n or just n. The 2200 has fewer antennae and a max wireless throughput of 300mbps across all wireless devices. The available speed is the theoretical maximum for the router and that doesn't mean each device can get the full max speed. It's usually split between the connected devices and can be impacted by other environmental factors in your home. Older wireless devices, even using 802.11n, may not have the ability to connect to the newer faster 802.11n variants at full speed or even 5GHz networks at all. The 3200 has multiple antennas for each band and a far higher total wireless bandwidth available on 2.4GHz. 5GHz has far far faster connectivity. 

View solution in original post

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@PaulTurnbull1 wrote:
TELUS has a T3200? They told me when I upgraded that I already had their fastest router..

I guess I will jump back on the phone and ask them to send out their latest modem.

You will be happier with the 2200 and your iOS devices than you will be with the T3200M. For some reason, the T3200M poorly connects the Wi-Fi portion of the network with the wired portion. Things like Home Sharing, printing to networked printers, SmartHome devices, etc., seem not to work well with the T3200M. Unless you will only use your iOS devices to access the internet, I recommend staying with the 2200.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"