cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poe Filter is required?

WannaBeTech
Friendly Neighbour

im wondering if i will try to hook up 2 moca adapter for my t3200m does it required Poe filter? The modem is in the basement of our house but i notice there is a coax outlet upstairs and the only thing connected to it is the optik tv box. Since we have a family PC upstairs the wifi of the t3200m isnt that good it often disconnects even the smartsteering is disabled or enabled and my cousin told me bout that. thats why they switch with shaw. Now i've just got 2 moca adapter from telus also and not sure if connecting it directly will work just fine without any poe filter?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Those would mainly be needed if the coax in the house was still conntected to the outside line. If the external coax was disconnected, which I believe is sometimes the case when MoCA is being used, those filters should not be required. I know at my parents place all that was done was the coax line coming into the house was disconnected from the first splitter in the house leaving all coax lines in the house isolated from outside. I can do the same thing at my place also except I don't use MoCA due to the existing ethernet connections.

A MoCA (Multimedia over Coax) "Point of Entry" filter is designed to prevent MoCA signals from leaving your home through the cable box or radiating out of an antenna, and may improve the performance of a MoCA home network. Install it at the point of entry of your antenna or cable line into your home.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you asking about a Power Over Ethernet filter or something else?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

MoCA-PoE_LPF-1002M7.jpgLike this one its for coax cable connection

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Those would mainly be needed if the coax in the house was still conntected to the outside line. If the external coax was disconnected, which I believe is sometimes the case when MoCA is being used, those filters should not be required. I know at my parents place all that was done was the coax line coming into the house was disconnected from the first splitter in the house leaving all coax lines in the house isolated from outside. I can do the same thing at my place also except I don't use MoCA due to the existing ethernet connections.

A MoCA (Multimedia over Coax) "Point of Entry" filter is designed to prevent MoCA signals from leaving your home through the cable box or radiating out of an antenna, and may improve the performance of a MoCA home network. Install it at the point of entry of your antenna or cable line into your home.

i guess that's explains it. Poe filters are good on a heavily populated place like an apartment to prevent data leak