cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peculiar problem with email and Thunderbird

Pieter43
Helpful Neighbour

I've been using Thunderbird as my default email program for a few years -used to use Eudora, but that's another story- and by and large it works well for the 3 email accounts we have. Today a frustrating issue manifested itself, I can get Thunderbird to download only 2 out of the 3 accounts. I have no problem accessing the account via Google webmail so at least I can see what's been sent, but there's a persistent authentication issue with 1 out of 3 accounts, which so happens to be my primary account. No changes were made, doesn't matter whether or not I have my VPN running, it just will not authenticate. Any suggestions what settings to delve into?

Thanks, Pieter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Pieter43
Helpful Neighbour

Thank you for trying to help. Seeing as the other 2 accounts are still working well in TB I figured it has to be a TB configuration, so just now I went into TB Preferences - Privacy and Security - Saved Passwords and deleted the password for the account in question. Fired up TB and Google asked for the password for the account and then verified 3rd party access for TB and we're off to the races at long last!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't use Thunderbird but have had issues with other mail clients and Gmail. It's possible you need to set up an app specific password for Thunderbird to access your mail.

More info here:

Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

I also found this that may be relevant:

Google Announcement - 30 May 2022 | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

Pieter43
Helpful Neighbour

Thank you for trying to help. Seeing as the other 2 accounts are still working well in TB I figured it has to be a TB configuration, so just now I went into TB Preferences - Privacy and Security - Saved Passwords and deleted the password for the account in question. Fired up TB and Google asked for the password for the account and then verified 3rd party access for TB and we're off to the races at long last!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Thanks for sharing your solution!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"