PayPal phishing Email

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

FYI there is a very convincing looking Email regarding a PayPal purchase going around right now which is not being caught by spam filters.

If you have received such an Email DO NOT open or click on any images...forward to spoof@paypal.com before deleting.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

Gmail is the best, but nothing is perfect. And it can't be said enough, for most spam, people should be aware that it IS spam. Think before you click. With PayPal, if you use it, you know how it works, and if you haven't made a payment, you know you haven't made a payment, so don't open the email. Instead, go directly to your PayPal account to check. The same with the CRA, or your bank -- if the email is valid (and they aren't valid unless you've registered for notification of account activity), it will appear in your online account. Courses in internet protocol and safety are available, but the bottom line is always -- pause and think over "official" or out-of-the-ordinary email, and then don't open it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are plenty of scam emails out there getting past spam filters worldwide. Paypal is a common one. Banks, Revenue Canada, etc.

Problem with many mail programs, especially web based email, is that images are loaded by default so the spammer will know your email is an active one.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

Yeah luckily I caught this one sent to my mother's telus.net account before she had a chance to open it. Man Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you really want to filter spam out I'd say hook her up with a Gmail account. Their spam filters are better than most I've used so far.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

Gmail is the best, but nothing is perfect. And it can't be said enough, for most spam, people should be aware that it IS spam. Think before you click. With PayPal, if you use it, you know how it works, and if you haven't made a payment, you know you haven't made a payment, so don't open the email. Instead, go directly to your PayPal account to check. The same with the CRA, or your bank -- if the email is valid (and they aren't valid unless you've registered for notification of account activity), it will appear in your online account. Courses in internet protocol and safety are available, but the bottom line is always -- pause and think over "official" or out-of-the-ordinary email, and then don't open it.

View solution in original post