cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully slow downloads from Apple software updates on iPhone and OSX.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Looks like the problem trying to download updates from Apple is back and it's Telus specific again. Hovers around 30k/s on iOS and OSX . Switched to Shaw Open, since there's one nearby, and the downloads were noticeably faster though will take some time to complete.

It did the exact same thing the last time Apple released a new version of OSX.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
18 REPLIES 18

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Last time I found using a VPN service sped things up.

I've not noticed a slowing for iOS 9.0.1, but haven't started the OS X 6GB download yet.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Update: My brother has a developer account with Apple and downloading the OSX update there was 8MB/s on a Telus connection. The problem appears to be between Telus and at least one of Apple's software update servers.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm happy to say that I'm not seeing this slowdown. The download is proceeding faster than I expected.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Antonio
Neighbour

I'm having an issue with OS X update downloads but also with Apple Music songs and videos. Videos won't play at all and songs continually cutting out.

I signed up for a VPN service (vypervpn has a free trial) and everything is perfectly fine. The El Capitan update that I started last night and still had 16 hours remaining when I got home this evening finished in an hour and a half once I connected to the VPN. Apple Music songs and videos stream just fine on it too.

walter_white
Connector

Looks like our house is experiencing the slow Apple download problem as well. Started happening yesterday. After about 20 hours of trying to download El Capitan, the download failed. Also takes a very long time update apps on iOS devices. Very frustrating. 

walter_white
Connector

One more quick update. I tried to download an app from the Apple App Store on a #TELUSDirect hotspot and had the same problem. When trying on our work wifi, I had no issue. Obviously this is a TELUS issue. 

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It has nothing to do with Telus, apple servers are the heart of the problem. I grabbed it in 20 minutes.

Antonio
Neighbour

There is ample evidence to support the theory that it is a Telus issue. Those of us that have access to a non Telus network have no issues once off of Telus.

If Apple servers are the root of the problem how were you able to grab it in 20 minutes?

walter_white
Connector

I contacted Telus support on Twitter this morning and sent them a link to this thread. They said that they were looking into the issue, but I haven't heard back yet.

giantbrownguy
Leader

I'm having the issue too. I'm trying to download app updates (already managed El Capitan) and it's painful. I heard Apple started using their own content delivery network; wonder if that's been overwhelmed through specific ports that Telus happens to connect to. Even though it's only affecting Telus customers, it wouldn't make sense for it to happen because of Telus. If that was the case, there would be service issues on other websites. The only way I could see this making sense is if Telus was intentionally throttling Apple downloads, but there's no reason for them to do that.

Antonio
Neighbour

For me it's affecting everything, I can't even use my AppleTV to stream movies I've purchased from iTunes. However Netflix from the same AppleTV device works just fine. 

Again though, as soon as I connect to a VPN everything is fine. I suspect you may be right about the port issue... or Telus really is throttling traffic to Apple servers but I highly doubt that, it would be a horrible business decision.

giantbrownguy
Leader

It is kind of random. I was able to download TV shows on my iPad from iTunes, but app updates in iTunes on my Mac are super slow (20 minutes for 50 MB). It's rather odd.

SaIBala
Just Moved In

I had same problem today but there is one temporary solution. Set your DNS to 114.114.114.114 and your speed will be WAY faster for using app store or itunes 

alexhe
Just Moved In

Have the same issue. Contacted the customer support but didn't get any good answer.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I doubt you will. The issue is far above tech support's reach. I've got ideas what it is but I'm not sure if it's on Telus' end or Apple's content distribution network assigning overloaded servers to Telus users trying to get updates.

@SalBala - is that Chinese DNS server safe to use?

khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

59.167.117.102, 59.167.191.158 helped get things back to normal on my iPhone but did nothing for my Ethernet connection.

valiaig
Advocate

Update As of today:

Speeds seem to come to a normal usual state in the App store

Gods finally heard my preyers. LOL 🙂

khangt1
Helpful Neighbour

Windows 10 iTunes app updates still taking 3+ hours for 50MB.