cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POTS on Telus ONT

SCo
Ambassador

Does Telus automatically switch your Telus phone to ONT POTS if one sign up for internet 150/150?

What if I want to keep my copper wired tel for emergency use, and not be relying on 120Vac to power the ONT/POTS?

There has been several post lately on client having their phone and internet being dead, and it is a concern for me.

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sometimes they do, and sometimes not. At least one of the comments about loss of service was from a customer on fibre for internet & copper for phone. If you want the greater certainty of not losing both, you are best to choose two (or more) different suppliers of connectivity.

Or you could do what most of us do: not worry about it because the number of customers to whom this occurs is smaller than a rounding error.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Currently I have two suppliers, but I will be comfortable with internet on fiber and phone on copper.  ONT requires 120Vac power and I do not intent to install UPS for residential application.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If your phone line is transferred to fibre, Telus includes a UPS that runs the ONT for some number of hours. I forget if it is 5 or 8 hours. Do you frequently experience long power outages?  Also, I assume you currently have a phone that does not need power to operate?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

For the last 12 months, we twice experienced power outage of more than 4 hours.  So I will ask tech if they can keep my phone on copper.