Outgoing email not sending when overseas

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Juliebulie62
Neighbour

Just arrived in the UK and unable to send email from iPad or iPhone via wifi. Have checked settings according to other posts but still not working. Help please!

Community Power User
Community Power User

Is your SMTP server set to port 1025, SSL off, and authentication set to 'password' in your settings?

That works for me most everywhere I go

As a fallback, you can use webmail at webmail.telus.net.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
JackinSurrey
Resident

BEST Solution is to dump your telus e-mail and get Gmail.  I have been constantly frustrated with telus mail in any off-shore or non-western Canada  travel.  Telus makes NO effort to make telus mail work anywhere but in their own back yard and even then they impose ridiculous constraints on busy hours like 7-9 am and 4-6 pm!

Juliebulie62
Neighbour

I made sure I have those settings but it still doesn't work. 

Juliebulie62
Neighbour

I am using a Gmail account now. The last straw when trying to get the Telus webmail account to work was trying to reset my password online and being told that I could not do that and had to actually phone Telus. From the UK? I think not!

Victoria_guy
Advisor

My wife just spent 4-weeks in the UK and was unable to send any e-mails on her iPhone via her Telus account. We tried everything we could think of. We finally set up an Outlook account and had her use that.

When she comes back, we will transition 100% to Outlook.com and not have to deal with this again.

Community Power User
Community Power User
You can always use Telus Webmail via a browser, it always works.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Victoria_guy
Advisor

Better yet, Telus could just fix the issue so we don't need to figure out workarounds like trying to use webmail which has not been optimized for use on a small mobile device.

Cherns
Coach

Here's a post I just made to respond to a similar problem:

--------------------------------

Depends on how you were accessing your email.

Using webmail always seems safe--log on to webmail.telus.net, see and send messages.

Using a mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, MS Mail, etc.) is a bit more problematic, and what you experienced in Mexico is a common problem in these cases..  Because a lot of spammers try to send messages from one server by going through another, many ISPs require any SMTP access (those are your outgoing messages) be through them, not through a "foreign" server, like Telus.

In some cases, it's sufficient to change your client's SMTP server from smtp.telus.net to whatever the ISP's SMTP server is (you can usually get this by searching for that ISP and "smtp server"). I've often done this and often it works well. Some ultra-cautious ISPs restrict their SMTP access to emails from their own customers, and that's a bigger problem. There's some work-around that I used to know, using GMail's SMTP server, but unfortunately I've forgotten it. Webmail is usually much less trouble, especially if your away-from-Telus trip isn't too long.

Often, talking with Tech Support at the "away" ISP can be useful. They should be aware of the nature of the problem, and (less often, I'm afraid) may have a suggestion.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------

It certainly is more convenient in many ways to use a web-based solution (Outlook, GMail, etc---mine is compuserve.com, a very old one) than a client-based one, but Telus's webmail is just as accessible as outlook.com or any of the others, and their interface IMHO is no worse. Using a client-based approach, as I do, can run into SMTP-access problems anywhere you go.

sgwade56
Friendly Neighbour

Webmail works no better on my iPad. Inbox displays but cannot open a message

Cherns
Coach

Interesting. Does Telus webmail work for you when you're directly connected to Telus, but not when you're abroad? Sorry, I can't imagine why that should be.

Cherns
Coach

Oh--or maybe you're just saying that Telus webmail doesn't work on your iPad, here *or* abroad??

Community Power User
Community Power User

@sgwade56 wrote:

Webmail works no better on my iPad. Inbox displays but cannot open a message

I have to tap the email twice to open it. First time opens a pop-up with the author’s name, then tap on that to open the email in the preview pane. However, I find the iPad Mail application to be more useful, and rarely use webmail.

NFtoBC
sgwade56
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks. That works but not very convenient. iPad mail would not send (my provider blocking). Manageable to find settings that will bypass the block.

Sent from my iPad
sgwade56
Friendly Neighbour
Never use webmail at home so unaware how it works there. I managed to find settings on my iPad mail to bypass my provider’s block. Thanks

Sent from my iPad
AKumar
Connector
I have been facing this problem for years whenever I went outside of Canada. I contacted Telus technical support several times. But they are not aware of any solution. They will keep trying (which puzzles me). I wonder - Do they never ever read these forums? Recently, one agent escalated my case. Guess what? Telus team wrote to me absolutely rubbish - same old questions and solutions and recommending use of webmail. Probably, there is no setting that will allow your emails to go out if you are outside Canada. I researched the web and foun a solution. One of the solutions is to use Gmail's smtp server if you have a gmail account. Here is one such link: https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/free-smtp-server/ If you can configure outlook app on your iPhone, it would work without a problem. Some users may not like that.
Community Power User
Community Power User

@AKumar

The Gmail SMTP solution has been suggested a number of times in the Neighbourhood, however Telus staff will not offer it as a solution, and rightly so. They will recommend only in house solutions. I have had good success with SMTP port 1025 with SSL off, and password authentication on, when travelling.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
AKumar
Connector

I have tried the method you suggested - by setting the SMTP port 1025 with SSL off, and password authentication on, with no success ever. The Telus agent also tried to use this method remotely on my computer. The agent got tired and promised to escalate. 

So far as iPhone is concerned, you can use Outlook app with regular settings.  

BigBen121
Coach

I had the same problem as you and my solution was to use a VPN client that connected back to Canada. I had no problem - it was a pain in the backside to remember to turn the VPN on/. However my brother just got back from Spain and the UK and he had a simple solution. It turns out that Apple Mail does not play nicely when you are overseas but if you use the Outlook App - No problem.

He was able to send and receive on his iphone and ipad without making any changes. I was told by a smart IT guy that there are differences with the various mail clients in how they get to the ISP

Hope this helps

AKumar
Connector

I had said the same thing - if you use outlook app on iPhone, there is no problem sending mails while you are outside Canada.