Options for best networking

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

I have optik TV with 2 wireless TV boxes and Internet 50.  They set me up with a actiontec t2200h router/modem.  I would like to set up the fastest and most stable connection to my devices, both wireless and wired.  I figure my router is older and telus might have better models I can ask for? I cannot find a straight answer online if there are non telus routers that can replace the actiontec I have or if telus will allow this if I can.  I have looked I to many routers that have great options, but when I look online for bypassing the actiontec (just using it as a pass through) and hooking up a router, I see mostly older posts from 2014/2015 and info stating telus prevents this or affects the quality of it.

Currently, there is 1 TV box wired into the actiontec and an extender and wireless TV box wired into the router (thus 3 ports used).  I have all my home entertainment set up in the basement (4k TV, ps4,wireless TV box, and pc).  Due to wiring constraints, the living room upstairs has the only wired hook up leaving all my man cave on wireless.  Most times 4k netflix through my Samsung TV app works fine but will go through periods of lag on picture an sound remains in real time making any ultra HD 4k program useless.  I experience lag and drop outs on games as well.  On top of this we have numerous tablets,phones and other wireless devices hooked up.  The extender is only 12feet from the router again due to the basement stairs cutting through the middle of the basement with the wiring on the one side of the stairs and home theater on the other.  Also, where the router is on the main floor, it appears before we got this house that part of the living room was once lower than the rest of the house and was renovated to be level with a new floor put on top of the old floor.  This makes passing wires through the floor difficult because there is a 6inch or so gap between those floors.

Some of the better routers have claims of 20+ device connections with blazing speeds. Ability to prioritize ports (so my wife on her regular SD TV needs little priority) and exceptional signal distance.  Also claim to have equivalent to wired speeds and stability with wireless connection.

The current actiontec t2200h has poor range leaving man cave unreliable for quality.  Which is why I am curious about newer and better router options.  I am also investigating my ability to run ethernet cable through a hole through the floor (once I figure out this double floor issue) and under the stairs to a 5 port switch. From the switch wire TV, telus box, ps4 and pc.  I am assuming if I can do this option, a good router is less of an issue (unless it is still good for its processing ability, prioritizing, managing all wireless devices, etc).

Advice here would be great. Was looking at higher end Asus and netgear routers but $200 to $400 price tags are harsh, but if that will fix all my issues I will take it under consideration. 

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ethernet is the way to go!  Have a chat with an electrician, if necessary, about the tools needed to run the cables. Things like extra-long drills, fish wires, etc., will help you. There is a great blog post by @SCo on the topic. There are a number of other discussions about running Ethernet cable through a home.

Many of us have added a second router to our home networks to overcome Actiontec shortcomings. Usually any Optik TV stuff is left to the Actiontec, and everything else is connected to the other router. The newest Telus gateway offers you little over the one you now have.

There is an article about bridging Telus gateways on this site, so there is obviously no prohibition to do so.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ethernet is the way to go!  Have a chat with an electrician, if necessary, about the tools needed to run the cables. Things like extra-long drills, fish wires, etc., will help you. There is a great blog post by @SCo on the topic. There are a number of other discussions about running Ethernet cable through a home.

Many of us have added a second router to our home networks to overcome Actiontec shortcomings. Usually any Optik TV stuff is left to the Actiontec, and everything else is connected to the other router. The newest Telus gateway offers you little over the one you now have.

There is an article about bridging Telus gateways on this site, so there is obviously no prohibition to do so.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post