Optik internet package vs Fibre optic package. Any difference? Is it available.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Hi I am subscribed to the Fibre to the home here in Vancouver. I was wondering if there's a fibre package and a regular optik internet package. Is there a difference, is it available? I am only asking because my friend is telling me that Shaw has a fibre package, and was wondering if Telus is offering a similar thing? Thanks. I have just switched from Shaw to telus. Oh the internet is great so far by the way. However, the router they gave us is giving me a headache as it doesn't really talk to my Airport Time Capsule (anyway, different story). 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Optik is the television package Telus offers over copper & fibre. Internet is offered separately or bundled with other Telus services.

See the Article about Bridging your Modem, if you wish to use your Time Capsule as your Router. I've had no problem using my Time Capsule (no router function) by turning off the network functions in the Airport Utility.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Yeah, cheers, I have been fidling around with it I think I've figured it out. I just wish that thing they gave me wasn't so big, its taking up most the space inside our electric panel where the fibre cable lives. There are wires everywhere. Its kind of messy. I wonder if they can come clean it up a bit, don't want to be pulling things I don't know. Haha. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Think that's messy? I've got that beat. Modem (old ALU) + 100MB Switch + 2 routers and cables. Only modem and 1 router in the panel. Rest on shelf above. One router is dedicated for my Optik TV (predecessor to the Actiontec), and the other is for everything else. Works well for me.

If they come to the house to rearrange non-Telus stuff, they'll likely charge you for the visit. Basically it'll come down to how you get it all organized. The main thing you don't want to touch in there is the ONT/battery/fiber. If you do NOT have Optik TV, the big router Telus gave you can be swapped out. Just re-use the ethernet cable that runs from the ONT to the WAN port on the router, on your own router. If you have Optik TV, bridge the Actiontec and run a cable to your own router from Port 1. Most personal routers can't handle the multi-cast stream used by the Optik TV boxes and it will interfere with everything.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂