cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV and Internet connection issues

Letkemann
Neighbour

Hey...

About ready to give up.  I've had nothing but problems for the last 2 months, I've been on Optik TV and Internet 150 for over a year now, except I had an upgrade to internet 150 about 2 months ago.  Which is about when I started having issues.  I keep getting disconnected from the internet, which in turn of course I lose all access to my PVR.  I get the orange light on my router (T3200M) when that happens, and I can sometimes bring it back by powering off either the modem, or the white box (Alcatel-Lucent), or both.  Sometimes the reset button on the back of the router works to accomplish this as well.  

The disconnects are random, I could be up for a whole day, or down in 10 min, with more resets required.  I've talked to support at least 3 times, and have had 2 tech visits, one to replace the router, the other to replace the white box (Alcatel-Lucent).  It has never helped, eventually I get disconnected, and have to reset everything again.  Today I replaced the Cat5e cable between the boxes, and plugged them both into a Furman power conditioner bar to try and eliminate any other issues (bad cable or bad power).  I was up for 2 hours, and you guessed it, the internet died, and I have the old familiar orange light on the router. 

Reason I'm posting this here instead of yet another useless call to tech support, is I'm hoping someone who actually knows more about what is going on can help me.  My personal feeling is the issue is outside of the home, the cables coming into the home are on poles (not underground), and perhaps there are issues or loose connections outside).  Tech seems to think this is impossible.  I'm about ready to give up and cancel my sub, but I'm under contract for a little bit yet.  I'm not looking for refunds or free PVR movies (I have some of the movies already, but I'm never up long enough to use any).  My main issue is a consistent connection, that's all I'm asking for.

Please, can anyone help???

Geoff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Make sure the coax or ethernet is not run through the power conditioner either. That'll scramble everything up good.

If the fiber box was losing the connection, they should be able to easily see that from their end when testing. It almost sounds like it may be the router but it's hard to be certain. 

Do you by any chance have your own router? Not everyone does but I'd be tempted to connect that to the ONT (Alcatel) and see if that one loses connection. Only downside is you'd be without TV while it's connected unless you connect the 3200 to a LAN port on the router. It's unusual for either box to be losing connections that often.

As a last resort if you don't have your own router, I'd be curious if they can try downgrading the router to a T2200 and see if it makes a difference. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll find the forums are frequented by users such as yourself. If there is a serious hardware issue between Telus and your house, or even inside your house, we will have no way to know what it could be.

When the light on the 3200 goes orange, have you ever turned it around to see if the lights on the ports or the white box have changed?  Normally the orange light when it's on copper means that one or both of the phone lines are out. That shouldn't be possible if you're on fibre since the 3200 will be just a plain router.

If you're using a power conditioner make sure only the electrical lines are in it and never the ethernet ones.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hi Nighthawk,

I've got no copper connected other than the line to the PVR which they ran through my existing coaxial, I don't have a home phone with Telus or anything.  There is a converter of sorts at the PVR that hooks into the box through a CAT 5 cable.  

There is no network, or CAT 5 run though the power conditioner, it's just the wall plug ins for the white box and the router.  

When the light on the front/top of the router goes orange, the lights on the white box stay green.  I can reset the connection with either a power down of the white box, or the router, or both.  Rebooting from within the router menu never works.  It's either a power down, or pressing the little button with a small screwdriver in the back of the router, that's the only option.  

I've had both the white box replaced (with a newer version), and the router replaced.  I tried another CAT 5 cable, and the power conditioner bar.  There is nothing else.  I don't get anything at all from Telus support, other than yet another visit from tech that only seems to result in another replaced unit, then it works for a bit as usual, then it's back to where I was. 

I was hoping to see if anyone had the same issues and how it was resolved so I can talk to tech support with a little more understanding.

Thanks again for your reply

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Make sure the coax or ethernet is not run through the power conditioner either. That'll scramble everything up good.

If the fiber box was losing the connection, they should be able to easily see that from their end when testing. It almost sounds like it may be the router but it's hard to be certain. 

Do you by any chance have your own router? Not everyone does but I'd be tempted to connect that to the ONT (Alcatel) and see if that one loses connection. Only downside is you'd be without TV while it's connected unless you connect the 3200 to a LAN port on the router. It's unusual for either box to be losing connections that often.

As a last resort if you don't have your own router, I'd be curious if they can try downgrading the router to a T2200 and see if it makes a difference. 

Hi Nighthawk,

I'm actually posting this because I can no longer maintain a stable connection, I've reset, powered down, and keep getting disconnected time after time.

I don't have the coax through the conditioner, it was just for the power.  

I do have a couple of routers, yes, older, but I guess I could try one, and as you say, I will lose the TV while using it.  Interesting idea, I shall try it before calling support.

I did have the older router, and that is where I first started seeing issues, and it actually worked quite well for about a year.  Then I upgraded from internet 100 to internet 150, and soon there after, I think, is when it had problems.  It did not disconnect oddly enough (the older router), but I had severe slowdowns every so often, enough to make online games crash.  So on my first service visit they replaced that with the newer model.  However now instead of lag, I get complete disconnects, although the wireless with 5G is much nicer.  When it works.  I don't have the older one handy, they took it with them.  

The last visit they replaced the white box.  It did not help.  It's like the router loses connection with the white box, since all the lights on the white box are green.  They did not replace the router again, even though the tech said he was going to replace everything.  So I went ahead and replaced the Cat 5 cable and added a better power bar, which was all I could think of.  

So you think it's the router again?  I wonder, about the quality of their products if they have so much faulty equipment.  I really do.  I have the booster (extender) router, I wonder if that will work?  

Thanks for you help, you seem to know as much or more than the actual people at Telus.  Maybe I'm just unlucky at who I talk to at tech support.

Just an update.  I dug out my old D-Link wi-fi router, and attached it to the white box.  Looked good.  Then to get 5G I attached the telus wi-fi extender box (only has 2 ports), to get 5G.  I did not try and directly attach the extender (wi-fi plus) to the white box, not sure if that would work???  I realise will not get any optic TV either way, since neither has the coax I need.  

Currently receiving 5G connection to the house that way.  So far so good.

If this lasts, say...more than 24 hours without an interruption, then for sure it is the 3200M router that is faulty.  Wish they had replaced that when they did the white box.  If it does disconnect, then at least I will know what?  Not sure, but it will likely be outside of the house.

Thank you Nighthawk for coming up with the idea to hook up another router!  I did not know I could do that.  I have no TV, but at least I will have some answers, and at the very least will just need to ask Telus to supply me with a new router.  PS, I'd rather have my internet working than the TV (for now).

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you're on fiber you do have the option of connecting a different router, it's just not advertised or supported by Telus' technical support. What some have done in the past is connect a basic network switch to the white box then connect their own router to one port and the Telus gateway to another just for the TVs. It's not the simplest of setups but does work.

Hopefully the Dlink does work. If it stays stable, see if they'll swap out the 3200 with a 2200. You'll need the extender to get 5GHz again but if it's stable, that's the important thing.

So far so good!  Couple of days now and no issues, or at least my router is more robust and won't lose it's connection as easily.  I also have another router I could try, a bit newer, that I never got around to using.  Good to know about the switch, although I don't think I have one handy.  Sounds like a fairly good solution if you have Optik TV and want to use your own router.

Just a quick question, I saw you recommended the 2200 earlier, (and I do still have the extender with 5G which is currently being utilised), why would you recommend I have them replace a 3200 with the 2200?  Is it more robust and less prone to the issues I've been experiencing?  Sometimes newer isn't always better as we know.  

I would still need something reliable to get Optik TV, even if I went with the switch and 2 router combo.  I've actually got the 3200 disconnected and using the opportunity to catch up on some of my Blu Ray's that needed to be watched.  Eventually might just pare down TV altogether and stick with streaming options.  

The 2200 is much more stable and isn't prone to the many issues that plague the (new) 3200. In my case i found the extender to constantly hang on the 5Ghz band and just used the 2.4Ghz band. So i bridged my 2200 to my own TP-Link TouchP5 AC1900 (Can handle OptikTV as well). Have no issues anymore with my wifi or connection period.

@Letkemann - Everyone's experience with the 3200 varies. Mine has been quite stable. I have my own router connected to the 3200, since I'm not on fiber, and I have my Optik box connected to the 3200 directly and everything non-TV connected to my router. Nothing is bridged and everything works fine for me.

Back when I had the old Alcatel modem (plain DSL modem, not fiber), I had a switch on it and my own router on one port and the then DLink Telus gateway (predecessor to Actiontec) with the Optik box on it. Worked fine for ages.

Thanks Nighthawk, and West Coast.  It's definitely a bad router (3200).  I've gone the longest without any interruptions ever since these issues started, about 4 days since Nighthawk suggested I try to use my own router.  Never got more than a day, or most of the time a few hours before getting up and having to reset.  Even 10 min.  

Next step I imagine will just have to call Telus and get them to give me another router.  I do need one of their models since the PVR is run through coax to the other side of the house.  Don't have any CAT 5 setup, other than a few shorter runs I just rigged up for the extender to go upstairs through a furnace duct. 🙂  

If it craps out again, at least I can reconnect my own router and get internet until they get me another one.  Just no Optik TV, but gives a guy a chance to get caught up on Netflix, no?

Appreciate all your help, and suggestions.  If they had just replaced it when they were over here last, we wouldn't be having this conversation, I just got fed up with all the calls, visits, and nothing ever got resolved.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Recommend requesting the T2200. That one has proper coax and should work best. 🙂

Vanhalendlrband
Neighbour
Im a Computer Programmer, Network IT Engineer.

Ive had tech after tech after tech here. Nobody can figure it out. I did

Its the Cable boxes. Something in them conflicted with my network, random
Disconnects for years. Stopped using the Optik TV boxes and walla my disconnections stopped. Problem is can only use optiktv through the browser and of course they dont let you have all the channels so you have to use the box that ive clearly proven disconnects my internet. Ive had replaced routers and boxes and they can never solve it.

The thing is we had issues from day one on the brand new fibre connection they ran to our house. Its a brand new line from Telus they ran along the outside of the house drilled one hole in the wall and they claim their setup is good and id have to agree. When i unhook the optik tv box my internet runs perfect. When i hook it up its exactly as the op describes. Ive told this to telus but you know how useless telling telus anything. Most terrible customer service and tech support on the planet.

If there was more than just a Shaw and Telus monopoly w/ 3rd party contractors out there i would switch in a heartbeat from this terrible service.

Telus has been absolutely no help my son missed his autism appointment because the initial setup took the guy all day somehow to hook it up had he been done in even 6 hours he couldve made his appointment but the guy was really struggling. Had multiple disconnects with techs who worked on what he did.

Has never worked right from day one with the brand new line they ran but they told me if i have any more problems im on my own they cant figure out what THEY did to my line.

So basically i have to have Shaw come rip out my line just so i can have about the same channels i get on telus optiktv website or just not use my boxes. Never a disconnect since i got rid of them.

Interestingly i did not originally have telus optiktv just internet. Added optiktv months later so the original issues were not the box but whatever is still causing an issue from that first tech I believe may be causing a network conflict somehow with my dvr i assume? Either way internet randomly cuts out only when the optik tv boxes are hooked up to the network