cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optic tv/internet problems

campau79
Connector

I have a question that might be best served to any telus techs that may be surfing this board. Although maybe my final question may be directed to anyone. I'll give a little back story, but I'll try to be brief. I switched to Telus last year and opted for Internet 50 with Optic TV. The plan included 2 wired Optic TV boxes, 1 wireless Optic TV box and of course the modem, WiFi extender and the Access Point box for the wireless Optic box. The tech that came to install everything said it would be better if he installed 2 wireless Optic TV boxes and 1 wired, if I went for the 2 wired, he'd have to run a wire, yadda yadda. It was presented in a way that made it seem like I'd have an ugly wire going across my floor, and of course he'd have to spend extra time there and seemed to want to get out ASAP. Anyway, after the install, I have had all kinds of issues since that time. Lost TV signals, lagged internet. numerous calls and techs coming to my home. One tech was honest with me, he worked hard and checked the actual line coming from my home and informed me that my speeds from the line is just over 50mbps (51 to be precise). he said technically I am getting 50mbps, but in order for my plan to work as it should and not lose access to tv or internet, I should be getting speeds at around 73mbps. He said Internet 50 shouldn't even be available to me (or anyone in my area). He advised that I should be on Internet 25 and phoned it in to Telus with his results. I wasn't happy about it, it wasn't what I signed up for, but I appreciated the work the tech put in, and when the service works, I love the interface for the TV and everything. Fast forward a short while ahead, I was informed by Telus that Internet 50 is now available. I was getting some buffering and lag on gaming on the 25, so I get bumped up. Fast forward again. I'm having the same issues again. Lost TV signal and lagged internet. A new tech comes out, spends just over three hours in my home and basically informs me what the previous tech had informed me. I feel like either Telus is incredibly disorganized or purposely misleading me.  Is it true that I should be getting around 73mbps? I want concrete evidence if I present it to Telus. If so, is this grounds for having my contract terminated? Is there something Telus could do to fix this and keep my services?

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

While the line possibly should be capable of 73Mbps, you should see within 10% +/- of your package speed when you do a speed test. My 100 Mbps is routinely in the mid-nineties; my friend across town sees 103 to 105.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Do you or they have Optic TV as well? I think the tech was referring more so to having Internet 50 with TV, without hiccups I should be getting at least the 73mbps speed. Otherwise, bandwidth dedicated to internet or tv can be eaten in to by the other and cause issues. If I was only getting internet, the 50mbps would be fine.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Both of us have Internet & Optik.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"