Opening Ports on the Huawei B890 Smart Hub

VE7CUPHam
Organizer

I am an (AMATEUR) Radio operator, a senior, and physically handicaped. And did I mention I have been a Telus customer for 55 years ! ? I just purchased the 250 Mb smart hub deal from Telus. I previously had Xplornet, but found the latency was getting way too long  to use (AMATEUR) radio internet linking. Amateur Radio Internet Linking (IRLP) is used to connect AMATEURS to other AMATEURS, and AMATEUR sevices all over the world. It is used for Emergency communications and services in the event of a disaster, or event requiring EMERGENCY communications . While trying to set up the IRLP (node) again, it is appearing like just about all the ports I need are being blocked by Telus. As I am getting no response from "myagent@telus.com",  Can someone please tell me how I can get these ports open for AMATEUR RADIO use ? The ports I need open are: 2074-2093, 5198/5199 udp, Also, 53 tcp&udp, 21,80873,8245,10000,12000-12001, 15425-15429 TCP Tnx, Ric, aka: VE7CUP

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most of this ports are open on a hardwired internet connection with the exception of 21. The wireless hub may have further ports blocked, but I don't know. I recall setting up an IRLP node in the past on a 5Mbps ADSL line without difficulty, but it has been about 15 years since I last did.  Is the IRLP in Smithers no longer accessible to you?

Telus is unlikely to open closed ports on a specific user basis.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
VE7CUPHam
Organizer

Tnx for the reply, The node in Smithers is 75 Km away, and the path is marginal most of the time. I am thinking a private ip might work, but almost impossible to get a live person with knowledge at Telus,,,   73, Ric

Community Power User
Community Power User

See if the School District can help you out, or possibly the District of Houston Fire Dept or local SAR group. All might have connections that could help you out with a Fixed IP connection. The School District was where we started.

Charlie Echo or Echo Papa Tango may be able to help you out.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
VE6BVE
Resident

Good day. I am having the exact same issue, although I am trying to open up port 4569 for my Amateur Radio Allstar node at home. One thing I found out is that on the smart hubs Telus gives us all private IP addresses instead of public IP addresses like you may find on a DSL connection in the city. This means the user has no control over what ports are open, closed, what to forward where, etc. I called in and also tried to even pay a little extra for a public IP address but was told not unless I wanted to switch to a business account for a lot more money. I'm a little dissappointed that this wasn't transparent to me (on what I could not do) when i signed up. Anyhow, just thought I would let you know what I found out about the port issue. Brad VE6BVE