Off Grid Internet Install

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hello, Having difficulty in finding the answer to this, including Telus Support Directly.

I have an off grid weekend cabin that uses solar and batteries for power. It has plenty of battery power to power a modem full time plus several other large devices.

There are internet lines across the road way from me but no power poles on my side of the road way.

Telus sales says that internet is available but they can not confirm that physically it can be installed. Only a install tech can confirm that on the install day..but since the cabin is 3 hours from me , I don't want to waist their and my time if it is not possible due to lack of a phone poll.

So my question is: Can internet be installed over the roadway if there is no pole to attach to? There are plenty of large trees but will that be allowed?

The cabin is up 400 feet from the edge of the roadway. I am doubtful but sales "assures me" it is possible.

There is no cell coverage in the area which is the main reason for the internet need . Yes unstable Satellite internet is possible from a 3rd party supplier.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Coach

The service can be installed as long as the drop wire at its lowest point of sag will be a minimum of 15 feet above the roadway. This could mean you need a tall mast on the building or you may need to install (at your expense) a clearance pole near your side of the road to support the drop wire to achieve the needed clearance. This indeed needs a tech visit to do the measurements. If you do your own measurements be prepared for rejection if the tech cannot do the job for not being able to meet either TELUS technical standards and/or the BC Electrical code and MOTI road regulations. We will not attach to trees. They have a nasty habit of growing which tends to stretch and break the line. Also keep in mind that the first 300ft /100M of line is included but extra must be paid for. With a 400ft drop length you will need 4 to 5 poles along the way as span length is limited to 60 - 70ft on copper or 100ft on fiber. The tech always has the last word on "do-ability".

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It will be up to the Tech that comes out to determine if he can supply the service to your location. Do you currently have a landline served by telus at this location?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi. No land line from Telus.

There are no lines at all to the property. Telus said I could speak to the installer before the date of install but they have been unable to provide that info.

The install for the 3rd re-scheduled time is for tomorrow.

I've been on hold now for 1 hr and 30mins plus the chat service is unable to assist.

There has to be an tech that can simply answer this question. Without a power pole on the property can they still install internet by

attaching the line to a large tree?

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Coach

The service can be installed as long as the drop wire at its lowest point of sag will be a minimum of 15 feet above the roadway. This could mean you need a tall mast on the building or you may need to install (at your expense) a clearance pole near your side of the road to support the drop wire to achieve the needed clearance. This indeed needs a tech visit to do the measurements. If you do your own measurements be prepared for rejection if the tech cannot do the job for not being able to meet either TELUS technical standards and/or the BC Electrical code and MOTI road regulations. We will not attach to trees. They have a nasty habit of growing which tends to stretch and break the line. Also keep in mind that the first 300ft /100M of line is included but extra must be paid for. With a 400ft drop length you will need 4 to 5 poles along the way as span length is limited to 60 - 70ft on copper or 100ft on fiber. The tech always has the last word on "do-ability".

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Neighbour

Bob you are a legend! Thank you so much as this is exactly the info I was looking for.

I am still on hold with Telus ( 1 hr 45 mins ..) . 

There are only trees so until I get a pole on my side I think I am out of luck. The distance from Cabin to service pole on the other side of the

road is too long.

Thank you !!

Highlighted
Coach

I don't know where you are but if you have cel service then TELUSmobility has a variety of data solutions. The LTE system offers substantial speeds, often better than copper wireline. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you can span the roadway, you can install conduit yourself with a trace in it for Telus to pull a wire. Since there would be no high voltage (120+ V) wiring, the code should be relaxed for such an install. Ask around your neighbourhood - someone will know who can install a light weight pole to carry the span of wire across the roadway.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks I am north of Pemberton with no cell coverage from any provider unfortunately.

I wish there was then yes I would just go with a hotspot for Internet and would have phone coverage.

Thanks again.