cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT Battery Backup Beeping

giantbrownguy
Rockstar
Hey folks,

The last couple of nights, the battery backup attached to my ONT has started randomly beeping. There’s no notice that the battery is toast but after I silence the alarm, the “Battery Power” light is flashing (slowly). Any thoughts? I’m hoping it’s just being weird. I don’t feel like dealing with tech support.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How long have you had the ONT? It may well be the battery is nearing end of life, needing replacement, even if the trouble light is not lit.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How long have you had the ONT? It may well be the battery is nearing end of life, needing replacement, even if the trouble light is not lit.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I can’t recall if the replaced the batter when I had the equipment moved to the garage. If they did, it’s a year and a bit. If the didn’t, then whenever the installed fibre in Port Coquitlam. That’s unfortunate if it’s toast.

Those batteries last anywhere from 2-4 years on average. If the battery light is red on the PSU then it needs to be replaced. The button will silence the beeping but only for a couple days. You can chat in instead of calling in and they will give you the option of sending a tech or just mailing you a new battery. They are super easy to replace yourself. The black and red wires connect with a little plastic clip that slide off and on.

It's also worth noting that the purpose of the UPS battery backup is just to ensure you still have a dial tone during a power outage as it keeps the ONT powered up. If you do not have home phone then there's no reason to have the UPS installed unless you also had your modem on a power backup of some kind but not many people do. You can get a technician to remove the UPS and replace the special power cord going from it to the ONT with a normal cord.

Thanks @Chicnstu and @NFtoBC. I have home phone, so I need the ONT. I was trying to avoid chat but I guess I’ll have to suffer this weekend. I have frequently found them less than helpful.

If you want to pay for it on your own instead of the hassle of waiting for a tech to come out then just take the battery to any local battery shop to get a replacement.

It is likely a SLA 12v 9Ah or maybe a bit smaller capacity of 8Ah.  

Places like batteryworld, magnacharge, or Interstate battery all sell these style.

Price range $25-40 depending on the store and quality of cell. 

Standard duty will be closer to the $25 price.

The the high rate batteries are often more expensive but work better for UPS applications and are usually $40+ for something like interstate HSL1079. (The telus ONT battery thing will be just fine with standard battery though)

Bring the old battery with you for swap or they charge you extra if you are not trading in the old one.  

There are listings for these on Amazon

eg: https://amzn.to/31rZn6p

But none are prime.  Shipping batteries via courier can be tricky.  Only ground shipping and extra charges if labelled correctly.