cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton has a conflict with Fibre optic

polecat
All-Star

This am Norton puts screen up to delete and reinstall it. Impossible leads you to a register and you pay site. Then tells you the app is not compatible with windows 10. (error # 8504,104) Unable to delete or reinstall so on phone (15 minutes not bad) The tech guy was good finds out Norton and Telus fiber has a conflict and they are working on it. Tells me that I will be notified by email when this is resolved that's ok. The Norton issue take some time appear after having changed over to fiber from copper wire. I asked and he told me windows defender will do ok for the time it take for them to fix this issue. He told me my desktop (on 7) will see the same issue some time down the road. Has anyone else run across this. Please respond and then  they can act Quickly with a repair. TKS POLECAT.........

24 REPLIES 24

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Was support specific on why they think it doesn't work with fibre? The type of connection shouldn't matter. Norton fixed Windows 10 compatibility a while ago so you shouldn't have any issues. The error message you got also can indicate an update to the software failed and broke something. Was this Norton install part of Telus or did you get Norton directly from Symantec or a store?

Also be careful it isn't some malware pretending to be Norton. Trying to reinstall shouldn't take you to a pay site.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

No direct answers. The notice was from Norton and I could not use my password to the account or a new password to try to reload Norton. It ended up looping around several times and went dead to me. The Norton program in my computer does not respond to anything. I will try it tomorrow again and see. polecat

Went on live chat and was told Norton does not work Telus fiber. I didn't bits and bites could see the difference between copper and glass. I will use  defender for now. The chat guy said people on fiber are buying Norton or use defender Dale

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well that doesn't seem, factual or correct at all. Fibre or copper shouldn't make a difference. My inlaws run Norton on fibre without any issues. Sounds like diag was needed and easier to say uninstall it. As @Nighthawk stated it shouldn't be taking you to paid "sites" with redirects..

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

I've been using Norton Security w/ Fiber for 5 months without problems.  This is with a 4 different laptops.

Thanks guys. My desktop on fiber and is still using Norton but can't load Norton on laptop. Don't think the ipad uses Norton will check today (2 devices on Norton) I will chat today and see if I had 3 on Norton possible answer ? Can't understand why telus doesn't inform users about changes they make or don't make. Not all the tech people are up to date on their programs. Norton is free with Telus internet for 2.

Yes they have a problem and are working on it. People that have it working for them may see it stay or quit at some time in the future months unless they fix it. The telus Norton loading site does not work for the free program. Should be an email out from telus to warn about this. Tech couldn't tell why it works for some people.

Neilr1
Just Moved In

CHILLIWACK BC..No included NORTON AV that is working here...except for the Browser stuff? (what do you do to protect your PC and Network? Pay YET more $$$ for the Service thats Supposed to be Included? NO ONE..(norton/Telus) has the Answer...just plain "Bad Planning" when Systems don't work as advertised I figure?

Neilr1
Just Moved In

ITS...now 9/6/2018...and this PROBLEM is still ongoing? Really? Telus Customers "STILL" don't have an Anti-Virus for Fiber Optic that "SHOULD" be included into the Service that is paid for? I would really call this a "Breach OF Contract" Maybe?

I don't think an ISP should have to include anti virus services at all.  Years ago, ISP's supplied news group feeds as well as email. Then anti virus was added and then some ISP's even offered data backup.

These things all add costs to the service.  As I like to choose my own AV services (there are several free ones available), think it is better to have an ISP agnostic email, don't use newsgroups anymore, and I get data backup separately.

The ISP should be providing a data connection to your home, and possibly a router and Wi-Fi (although I use my own router/wifi too it is better).

The title of this thread is misleading, I doubt very much Norton has a "conflict" with fiber at all.

Anyway, these "problems" are easily fixed - obtain them separately.   A "problem" to me is an issue with the delivery of internet services.  And that doesn't seem to be the case here.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@BillTelusCust wrote:

I don't think an ISP should have to include anti virus services at all. 

My opinion would be to offer it through SaaS, not sell / include it as a client on individual devices. Trap the malware centrally.

Else, allow the developers of the OS to address it at a very base level, as MS is with Defender, or Apple has with Safari, and trusted developers.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

polecat
All-Star

Dam Norton problems. Now Sept 2018 still no answer from Telus . Our desktop (windows 7) and Ipad are on Norton with my laptop (Windows 10) using Windows defender. That what a rep told me to use (only 2 devices can use Norton on your pure fiber account).  We have a second desktop a small business the wife does (Windows 10) security used don't know. I know one thing don't have windows defender and Norton running at the same time you will be asking for lots of trouble. Defender has worked well for my laptop security and will well enough alone. Norton does its updates on our desktop so  i leave it alone. Good luck POLECAT......

polecat
All-Star

Went on chat (5 MIN)........ Norton is free with telus fiber (you can buy a premiun one  if you Wish) For 2 devices and windows defender will or may cause some problems depending on program you are using. Polecat.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You never want to try run two antivirus programs on the same computer. They just compete for resources. Been that way for many many years. I stopped using Norton ages ago because it got so horribly bloated and resource hungry.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Syaoran
Rockstar

I laughed when I read through this thread last night to the point where any reply would not have been constructive at all.  The next day though, and pardon my blunt reply...  But as a Computer Consultant and Assistive Devices Techician and Trainer, the whole aspect of Norton not working with an internet service is pure fiction!  Anyone who thinks and says otherwise, has absolutely no clue what they are talking about! 

Software compatibility isn't the fault of Telus or Norton!  Microsoft chooses to update Windows twice a year for those who aren't Insiders, which I am.  Regardless of their reasoning behind it, they uninstall programs and apps that might not be compatible with the current version of Windows 10 to prevent unforeseen conflicts.  Norton products provide updates for at least the first year.  If your Norton product is beyond that year, then purchase a subscription to their service or purchase the latest version.  Telus provides a service between the modem they provide and their servers.  If there is an issue between those points or with their modem, then the problem is with them.  Anything connected to the modem outside of other Telus services, is the responsibility of the user.  They might choose to help you in the most basic capacity when it comes to troubleshooting but that is literally all you can and should expect.  

On a side note.  October's update brings a full dark UI, including the file manager, to Windows 10 and the Microsoft Hotmail/Windows Live Mail/Outlook web interface.  Enjoy!

polecat
All-Star

How can a reply be constructive when the info you get from support varies from one to another. I don't think all support people receive the same training. When one says fiber  does not support Norton and later same day a different rep( a year ago the next one says it will work ) A friend who is a tech guy checked all my devices at the time and i had no system operating problems. And as far as  getting a reply back from the rep is being a year plus and still waiting for it. Maybe the transition from copper to fiber in our area was having some problems at that time ??????

@polecat You know, @Syaoran gave you a perfectly logical explanation, and still you cling to the thought that "maybe the transition from copper to fiber in your area had problems at the time".  Do you think that they have a special switch that turns on and off Norton?

Telus is giving you two licenses for Norton.  Unless you have a licensing problem on those two licenses, it is not anything to do with Telus.

polecat
All-Star

I don't have a problem with Norton works just fine for what they supply. It's the some of the reps who gave  4 different answers.  First not available on pure fiber or on fiber  (reps wording 2 systems?) The last rep decided to check account settings on their end and bang everything started to work like it should then he  looked at my end and all was well. All i want is to get what i pay for.

@polecat It is unfortunate that the reps are not well versed on the plans.  That's not a problem only at Telus.  I was trying to compare mobile plans some time ago and ran into a rep that did not know (and apparently couldn't look up) what an MMS message was, therefore he could not tell me how it was priced.  I was on a chat with a T-mobile rep because they give 2G data at no extra charge when roaming overseas, and I wanted to know how to get LTE. He said that it was impossible due to the tower frequencies in Europe, which is utterly nonsense - he said their tech support would back him up.  A week later, T-Mobile unveiled a plan were you could get LTE data in said places.

I agree it is annoying when they give false information, but that's not something rare, it is all too common.

In a very short amount of time (like a minute or two) yesterday, I was able to find out from the Telus website that they give two licenses of Norton with Telus internet and that more can be purchased, as you found on the chat.

My reference was to your speculation still that there was a problem with the fiber that was interfering with the Norton, which is, of course, nonsense.

@polecat wrote:

I don't have a problem with Norton works just fine for what they supply. It's the some of the reps who gave  4 different answers.  First not available on pure fiber or on fiber  (reps wording 2 systems?) The last rep decided to check account settings on their end and bang everything started to work like it should then he  looked at my end and all was well. All i want is to get what i pay for.

Norton Antivirus is a free third-party service that TELUS has acquired for its customers. You are not paying for it because it's basically free. You are only paying for the internet connection (modem, WiFi) and it does not include any third-party services like antiviruses, email accounts, webspace, and data back-ups. These are services you can get separately.