Next speed increase for TELUS Fibre Internet customers?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Coach

I know this is a sore subject for those still stuck with much slower speeds, but for those of us fortunate enough to live in neighbourhoods with glorious fibre..... Any word on the future of TELUS Fibre Internet speeds?  Can we expect to see Internet 250 or even higher in the near future?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

My guess will be no. Not until a lot more infrastructure upgrades have been completed and Telus can offer 100mbps to a much larger percentage of it's user base.

Also, 250mbps is going to be overkill as it is. Most webservers out there cannot push data to you that fast. Many PCs also still have 100mbps network cards in them too.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Coach

Fair enough. Sounds a lot like the reason I've chosen to not get TELUS TV. Each channel gets encoded and then served at the same bitrate regardless which connection you have. If only fibre customers could get a stream with a higher bitrate (less compression) - would solve the issues that currently exist with pixelation, etc.

I have no problem maxing out my 100Mbps connection at the moment. It's more for backup purposes, mind you, but it would still be nice to have that option of paying more for a faster connection.

I'll just chill out and wait for the time being.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Right now it is the lowest common denominator--same encodes and depending on the bandwidth 2,3,4 or 5 HD streams.  What you wish is nice but may never happen as it requires Telus to maintain a higher encode master, check the bandwidth of each connection and depending on that reencode at higher or lower bit rate. Unlikely to happen.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The bit rate for Optik streams will likely increase once the average network speed offered is higher than present. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Resident

5HD is already happening in specific areas... And Telus is already testing Gigabit internet to very select users, and 16 HD streams for the tuner. Overkill, but exciting stuff.

Highlighted
Ambassador

This really is exciting but I wonder how long it will take for the ordinary householder to get it and also if it ever makes outside of the new developments.  I would love to get it but don't want to move just to get it!

Highlighted
Resident

I can only imagine Telus pushing faster internet speeds when the majority of households can get faster internet speeds. The vast majority of houses only receive copper/twisted pair to house from the node.

Highlighted
Ambassador

That's sweet, Telus has laid fiber optic for the past 2 plus years and hasn't connected it and would Telus have put in a optical box, would he put it in the crawlspace or garage? Telus just came around the neighborhood last Friday to see who would want Telus installed in their house, and i walk down to them and asked, they said the brand new year old large neighborhood just got built is getting fiber optic, you should be next to get hooked up, So how long? Help!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cafekief - you've already been provided with the information many many times.

Highlighted
Ambassador

elus just came around the neighborhood last Friday to see who would want Telus installed in their house, and i walk down to them and asked, they said the brand new year old large neighborhood just got built is getting fiber optic, you should be next to get hooked up, So how long? Help!

^ this part i didn't get yet, how long, it been laid for 2 plus years? would every one that wanted fiber optic upgrade have to get a an optical box somewhere is their house?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

would every one that wanted fiber optic upgrade have to get a an optical box somewhere is their house?

If you are offered Fibre to the House, there will need to be an ONT terminal installed to convert the fibre optic signal to Ethernet. It is usually installed with the other telecommunications termination points in the house, and requires an electrical outlet nearby. Ethernet cable will need to be run from this location to the computer location, and from there to the PVR location. The crawl space might be easier to run ethernet to the various rooms in the house needing connection points.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Coach

I just feel that there should be a separate option for Fibre customers. Verizon has FiOS in the United States and that provides customers on fibre with much higher speeds and much clearer (read: less compressed) TV service than those that are still on copper. Eventually, they'll either have to upgrade everyone or offer two levels of service to accommodate the growing demand for more and better services. Eventually....