cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New service with London Drugs PVR

kfischer
Just Moved In

(Almost) new customer here.

I'm interested in a "no-commitment" bundle for Internet/TV and see I can purchase a PVR from London Drugs. 

It's not clear if installation is free - and whether it will include the wiring of the PVR.  

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nasty
Rockstar

http://www.telus.com/tv/hardware.jsp

According to current Telus page:

$50 install fee, for no contract, using current wiring.

Your 'deal'(6 months half price) for subscribing to Optik may nullify any extra charges for install. Your order process would determine any deals.

If there is an easy path to run a  ethernet cable from the TV area to the Gateway, thats an option if there isn't an easy way to tap into the cable line and run it to the Gateway.

Installs demand quality to avoid call backs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have Optik currently? I can't clearly tell from your post but I'm assuming no. What kind of wiring are you expecting for the PVR? If you house has coax or ethernet already there is no real wiring needed. Usually for new installations there isn't an install fee if on the 2-3 year contract. If you are looking to go month to month I would not be surprised at all if there is a decent sized install fee. Plus if the tech has to run wires in the house, that can cost extra too. Make sure you ask the sales people and the tech, in advance to confirm any possibility of fees.

Is the PVR you are looking at London Drugs the Telus CIS430? Do you know if you are getting a PVR from Telus with the install as well? If you get the PVR from somewhere else, don't expect Telus to help if it stops working. You'll have to go buy another one as Telus won't honor the warranty on it.  Either way you will need Telus to add it to your account in order to activate it. They may charge for that too. I know they used to charge $5/mo for using Optik on an Xbox the user owned.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thank you Nighthawk,

Yes I'd be going month-to-month ideally as it's likely I will have to move again in 12-18 months.  I see the Telus CIS430 (remanufactured) on the London Drugs website for a substantial discount to the full price; so I'd be fine with replacing it again if it fails at some point.

I will ask on the installation during my subscription call.  Most wiring is already there; although only coax by the tv/pvr location; and no coax by the router.  I will report back on what my experience/cose is.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thank you again!

Keith

nasty
Rockstar

http://www.telus.com/tv/hardware.jsp

According to current Telus page:

$50 install fee, for no contract, using current wiring.

Your 'deal'(6 months half price) for subscribing to Optik may nullify any extra charges for install. Your order process would determine any deals.

If there is an easy path to run a  ethernet cable from the TV area to the Gateway, thats an option if there isn't an easy way to tap into the cable line and run it to the Gateway.

Installs demand quality to avoid call backs.

View solution in original post

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

When they installed mine 3 months ago on my heritage home...

• they used the existing home phone wiring wall jack to the PVR
  • they found the external wiring from the house to the pole to be too old and had that replaced
  • the existing wall jack and desired TV locations did not out, the installer swaped out the wired boxes for wireless

I love my wireless boxes where I can relocate my 3 TVs from room to room without paying for another install visit.  The wireless boxes range is better than my wifi.

Check out the wireless boxes if you are concerned about TV locations and wiring.