New Telus Modem for Fibre 150

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Coach

Hello, 

I've seen posts around here (and on Google) about people saying they have had to replace their old V1000 modems because it can't handle the Fibre 150 speed. I just upgraded to the new plan, and when the tech guy came in, he said the V1000 is fine and I don't need a new modem but none of my devices can get even close to the 150 speed. Wireless, I get around 90 and wired I get around 110 (occasionally). 

Any idea if I do need to get the T3200 modems as has been said on some forums? I really don't want to have to deal with the Tech Support again. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have fibre, the V1000 is acting simply as a router only. Not a modem. The V1000 has gigabit (1000mbps) ethernet ports on it which are perfectly fine for 150mbps connections.

Please note that very few speed test sites will be able to give an accurate result for 100mbps or higher. Most won't register the full speed since they just don't run fast enough. Only focus on wired when testing anyways. Wireless has too many environmental and physical limitations that could impact the speed. Ensure your PCs also are using gigabit network cards as well. Many PC manufacturers still uses 100mbit cards. If you are using a network switch in your house, also ensure that's gigabit as well.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Coach

Currently the business rules specify that the T3200 must be used for all services 50 - 250Meg. The V1000 is long dead, replaced by the 2000/2200 series several years ago which have, in turn, been replaced by the 3200 for high-bandwidth services. Having said that, my own 100M/5HD is chugging along just fine on a 1200.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Per Actiontec spec sheet, it appears that T3200M has 802.ac WiFi and also supports MoCA which I think is a plus for homes without pre-wired Cat 5e.

Highlighted
Coach

The tech guy looked at it and said the V1000 is the latest model I have (which I know was BS) and I didn't need a new modem/router. He just installed a new extender (which I needed) and left. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@SCo wrote:

Per Actiontec spec sheet, it appears that T3200M has 802.ac WiFi and also supports MoCA which I think is a plus for homes without pre-wired Cat 5e.

MoCA is good but doesn't work with any of the regular STBs. I believe it does work with the 4K box though.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Advisor

thanks for that tip..I had been considering running a cable line between the STB and gateway..

@Nighthawk wrote:

MoCA is good but doesn't work with any of the regular STBs. I believe it does work with the 4K box though.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@mtn wrote:

thanks for that tip..I had been considering running a cable line between the STB and gateway..

@Nighthawk wrote:

If you are putting that effort in, run two Ethernet cables. You'll find use for them n short order. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

When i ran my data drops after the fact and fished them down the walls i ran 3. Thinking one for the future, but quickly used all three drops. Behind my entertainment center. Can't beat hard wired connections, plan for the future. Roku, Apple TV, Gaming consoles, etc.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I thought installing two was planning for the future, as I still had a satellite (cable) feed at the time!  Now one is consumed by the PVR, and the other hosts a 5-port switch for all the connected gadgets in the living room. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"