cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New T3200m Modem issues

HeliJoe
Neighbour
So I just got internet 50 hooked up in my new apartment and my WiFi (5 ghz) is cutting out like mad. I will unlock my galaxy s6 and have to manually connect back to the internet each time. It will say I am connected but right under the ssid it says "Internet not available" but as soon as I connect it will give me 25-35 Mbps and I will be good for a while.

I used to have an Asus router at home putting out 5 ghz, and never had this issue, and I have never seen it pop up on any device I have owned.

I know I should call support, and I will, but with the move I just dont have time yet. I figured since it is a new modem somebody else might be having this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Foonus
Ambassador

Do a hardware reset on it, It likely has taken a firmware update when it was first plugged in, or will do so when you reset it.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Does this happen when connected to the 2.4Ghz channel as well?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

Just testing now. If it does work, I will still be trying to use the 5ghz due to being in an apartment with 18 other 2.4ghz connections.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Just need to change the wireless channel. Most people leave it on the hardwares default. Channel 11 is usually a safe bet.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

Foonus
Ambassador

Do a hardware reset on it, It likely has taken a firmware update when it was first plugged in, or will do so when you reset it.

View solution in original post

That was what did it. I have never used one of those buttons, I just relied on the 10 sec unplug for basic reset or the 30 sec reset if my old routers had major issues!

@HeliJoe wrote:
That was what did it. I have never used one of those buttons, I just relied on the 10 sec unplug for basic reset or the 30 sec reset if my old routers had major issues!

Would you mind posting current Firmware version T3200M is running now from Actiontec config http://192.168.1.254

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure that using the power button on the back is the same as unplugging it and plugging it back in.

It could be that the wifi selects another channel after doing the restart which is why it seems to solve the problem.  You might have a lot of noisy wifi neighbours or something.  Microwave ovens will affect 2.4Ghz as well btw.  So if you're in an apartment it's possible that a neighbour could knock out your signal every time they use their microwave.  Just FYI. Use 5Ghz instead if at all possible.

Hello. Is a "Hardware reset" the same thing as a "factory rest?" The Telus Tech I spoke to over the phone did a factory rest but it did not solve the problem. 

When I get home today I intend on trying to change the channel to 11 as referenced by someone else. Thanks.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RioganA hardware reset is the same as a factory reset. Keep in mind you will need to redo all your wireless settings as they've been reverted to default.

I had a similar issue with my Samsung phone always disconnecting.  Enabling Band Steering on the T3200M resolved that problem.  Band Steering appears to make the 2.4 and 5 networks appear as a single SSID and that probably helps with the phone not hunting around between networks.

canucks4life
Leader

@HeliJoe wrote:
So I just got internet 50 hooked up in my new apartment and my WiFi (5 ghz) is cutting out like mad. I will unlock my galaxy s6 and have to manually connect back to the internet each time. It will say I am connected but right under the ssid it says "Internet not available" but as soon as I connect it will give me 25-35 Mbps and I will be good for a while.

I used to have an Asus router at home putting out 5 ghz, and never had this issue, and I have never seen it pop up on any device I have owned.

I know I should call support, and I will, but with the move I just dont have time yet. I figured since it is a new modem somebody else might be having this issue.

I had the exact same issue with T3200M as well same phone Galaxy S6 tried every troubleshooting I could think of except wiping phone several other 5G devices in our condo have no issues staying connected whatsoever.

Strangely enough I recently switched cell carriers from Wind-->Public Mobile (Telus subsidiary) and now my S6 keeps 5G connected much better no clue why that would make any difference Smiley Indifferent

Hmm don't know what is going on there, but I ended up using 2.4ghz (no problems), then I reset it via the button on the back and now 5ghz is working just fine! I tried unplugging it then waiting 10sec then plugging it back in but apparently that isn't the same as the button on the back, so as a first step, try using that instead of the old unplugging method.

wifiguy
Neighbour
I'm having a very similar problem with mine as well, I upgraded two days ago and wifi had been garbage, I use and dlink router and nothing. Switched from that modem to a different one as I don't have optik tv and I'm still having issues. I'm beginning to think it's on their end, even though they say it's good. Let me know if you got it resolved, I have a tech coming this Monday for the 2nd time

Coolkid
Just Moved In
I've been using the T3200M for a few months now. The internet keeps cutting out on it. The internet light turns red while the wifi light stays green. Ive called customer support and they just told me to hold down the reset botton or the pull he plug on the back of the modem. It's been cutting out like crazy especially in the morning.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the internet light is going red, that usually indicates a problem on the connection between the modem and Telus. Resetting the modem itself is not going to solve that. Rebooting it may solve the problem temporarily as you've seen. They should be able to see it losing the connection and troubleshoot from there. If they can't find the problem on their end, a visit from a tech would be the next step. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂