cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network adapter stuck at 100mbps

felixnrf
Just Moved In

Just got Telus internet setup, paying for 940mbps. Running cat6 cables from telus router to the wall jack, then cat5e from the wall into a gb pcie card in my computer. My internet speed has been limited to 100mbps, and changing the speed in the network adapter options to 1gbps / full duplex doesn't change anything. I've also manually uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter drivers. I've tried looking for options to change router port speed in the network admin page, but there's nothing there, unless I'm blind. Any help would be appreciated, hoping its not just the cat5e cable because I've been told that should work fine.

felixnrf_0-1649380891867.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cat5e cables should work with gigabit perfectly fine. I use them with my gigabit connection to a few of my devices without issue. The Telus routers default to gigabit which is why you won't see any settings for it.

Do you have another spare ethernet cable you could try in place of the Cat5e? It's not impossible for an ethernet cable to be a problem, though it is usually very rare. If you look inside the ethernet port on your PC are all 8 wires aligned and visible? Are you able to test the ethernet connection with another device like a laptop? If at all possible check the connection on the Cat5e cable end and also go to the router and test the connection from the Cat6 cable to the wall. 

Another consideration would be a physical issue with the house. One issue my brother ran into with his home was that one of the Cat6 cables in the walls had been damaged, likely by a drywall screw during construction, that resulted in a max connection of 100mbps to one of the jacks. Another possibility is that one of the wall jacks wasn't wired correctly where one or two of the wires are either not connected or are connected incorrectly (wrong order). I had one jack that was wired incorrectly by the builder's electrician but was easily fixed.

Which router did Telus give you? The T3200 (t3200m.png) or the Wifi Hub (WiFi_Hub.png)?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cat5e cables should work with gigabit perfectly fine. I use them with my gigabit connection to a few of my devices without issue. The Telus routers default to gigabit which is why you won't see any settings for it.

Do you have another spare ethernet cable you could try in place of the Cat5e? It's not impossible for an ethernet cable to be a problem, though it is usually very rare. If you look inside the ethernet port on your PC are all 8 wires aligned and visible? Are you able to test the ethernet connection with another device like a laptop? If at all possible check the connection on the Cat5e cable end and also go to the router and test the connection from the Cat6 cable to the wall. 

Another consideration would be a physical issue with the house. One issue my brother ran into with his home was that one of the Cat6 cables in the walls had been damaged, likely by a drywall screw during construction, that resulted in a max connection of 100mbps to one of the jacks. Another possibility is that one of the wall jacks wasn't wired correctly where one or two of the wires are either not connected or are connected incorrectly (wrong order). I had one jack that was wired incorrectly by the builder's electrician but was easily fixed.

Which router did Telus give you? The T3200 (t3200m.png) or the Wifi Hub (WiFi_Hub.png)?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Was as simple as changing the wall jack :^) thanks for the help

Gb speed requires all 8 wires, 100 Mb only requires 4 wires. An improperly wired jack with less than 8 wires connected properly may fall back to 100 Mb if the right 4 wires happened to be connected correctly.