NAS - ActionTec Router

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Rockstar

I was wondering if the USB port on the V1000 router allows a NAS drive? If not, will there ever be a firmware update that allows it?

iPhone power user

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

It works now with the -13 firmware. I can attach USB storage media and access it as a network drive and via the built-in DLNA server (under Advanced settings). Plug in the USB drive, select Advanced Settings, check that it appears under Storage Device (FAT or NTFS), and enable the DLNA server. To access it as a network drive, just look for IP address 192.168.1.254. It's a bit slow though - about 3 Mbytes/sec maximum transfer rate, so more suitable as a media streamer than a NAS.

Is that feature new in the last 2 months? I thought the firmware update that added that feature has been out for several months.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi there, unfortunately the USB port on the TELUS Actiontec V1000H is not active currently. Not certain if they will support this in the future. : (

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Ambassador

It works now with the -13 firmware. I can attach USB storage media and access it as a network drive and via the built-in DLNA server (under Advanced settings). Plug in the USB drive, select Advanced Settings, check that it appears under Storage Device (FAT or NTFS), and enable the DLNA server. To access it as a network drive, just look for IP address 192.168.1.254. It's a bit slow though - about 3 Mbytes/sec maximum transfer rate, so more suitable as a media streamer than a NAS.

Is that feature new in the last 2 months? I thought the firmware update that added that feature has been out for several months.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate

It seems to be slowly rolling out to customers.  I only got it a couple weeks ago and then only because I upgraded to fiber and needed the WAN port active. That is only done on the new firmware.  I heard you can call customer care if you want it and they can push the update to you.

Highlighted
Rockstar

Awesome news! Thanks everyone. 🙂

iPhone power user
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

As Doug stated above, this was recently updated with the latest firmware. That being said however, were you to call TELUS regarding issues or support for a device connected to the USB port, they would not be able to assist. I recommend typically online resources for these types of things or simply to reach out to the community here. : )

Highlighted
Resident

How were you able to connect to the drive my mode can detect the drive as usb1_1 and the media path is /mnt/usb1_1 but it doesn't lead anywhere. I have DLNA enabled can you explain how to acces the drive.

Highlighted
Ambassador

You need a DLNA client to see media being offered by a DLNA server (video, music, or photos). You can find DLNA client apps for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, most TV media players and smart TVs etc.. Some DLNA clients can scan the network for available DLNA servers, others you have to tell them the specific LAN IP address of your server, which would be the LAN address of your Actiontec router (192.168.1.254 typically).

If you are going to access the USB drive attached to your Actiontec router as a network drive, you just open the LAN IP address of the Actiontec router in your network file explorer application, and you should see your attached USB drive offered as a shared drive.

Highlighted
Resident

Hey Doug,

I have enabled DLNA and I have rebooted the router. I can browse, mount and add files wirelessly as per your instructions, however when I try to use a dlna client to watch, I select the file and the video doesn't start. Any hints?

Highlighted
Neighbour

I can't seem to map to the USB drive. in my network explorer window I see the actiontech under media devices and Network infrastructure. no where can I see the USB drive? What am I doing wrong?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have a look in the Gateway's management pages as described in @Doug1Ames1 comment near the top of this thread. Until it's set up properly through the Actiontec, it likely won't be visible to your network. Were it a directly connected network drive, the process you are using would likely work, but not with a USB drive as its not yet part of your network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

still don't know what is going on? Now I can't even see the router under media servers? logging into the router under settings/LAN status, it says USB disconnected? However when I go to Advanced Setup/storage device info it shows as there?

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi Doug - I am trying to use the USB port on the Actiontec V1000H to plug in an Ultra My Passport drive to use to regularly backup files from 2 home computers.  I followed your instructions to access it as a network drive and I can now see it using windows 7 explorer under network media devices as "Actiontec Digital Media Server 192.168.1.254".  I was hoping that I could just click on the device and I would be able to see a file structure similar to what I see on my computer that is attached to the network but instead I get prompted to load Windows Media Player. Am I trying to do the impossible? If not would you be able to steer me in the right direction.  Thanks for your help - I'm the designated techie in the household but as you can probably tell, my skills are limited.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Update to my last message.  I can no longer see the "Actiontec Digital Media Server 192.168.1.254" device under network media devices.  It seems to have disappeared, yet I can still see in Advanced settings under Storage Device.  Also the DLNA server is still enabled. 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm not wanting to be difficult or obtuse, but would using a NAS such as a WD My Cloud for about $150, not be easier?

You are entering the IP address in the File Explorer location bar?  

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

Hi - thanks for your suggestions.  Yes I entered the IP address in the File Explorer location bar - the search was unsuccessful.  It was there initially.  I also unplugged from the USB port and went through the entire process a second time without success.  Regarding the WD My Cloud - I will look into it.  I only thought of using the Ultra My Passport because I have already have one.  I had read this thread before I started so I thought it would be an easy set-up but apparently not.

Highlighted
Advisor

Just to keep this thread alive....

I have a 1200H router. I can attach my usb drive and possibly use it as attached storage and as a DLNA server.

I say possibly because there are one or two little battles to sought out.

As for using it as a straight up drive, since the OS is Linux, SAMBA has to be configured. Now, I am a Linux newbie (I replaced my laptop with the Telus' "free" HP laptop, and put Linux Mint on it to learn all about the OS)  From what I have seen so far, and this may be my network), interfacing Linux and Win on the same network can be brutal.  They simply do not see one another, usually the Linux will see my WIN machines, but the WIN machines do not return the favour!). So if anyone has tips on how to setup SAMBA to access the Actiontec, I'd be grateful.  Will it be seen by a WIN box?

As for DLNA. Appears that WIN media players ignore any file they do not know about. Hence, my FLAC music files are not seen by Windows MP.  So really the server is of limited use, and really not equal to something like Plex.  

*Don't get me wrong, I applaud Actiontec for putting this functionality in the router. A pleasant surprise in these days of crippled firmware. I have had many STB's that had a USB port that was not functional!*

Highlighted
Advisor

Don't forget... a spinning hard drive will probably not work since it will exceed the power requirements to actually start turning. (That is why hard disk enclosures come with a Y USB cord to double the power.)

You have to use SSDs.

Highlighted
Resident

Does anyone know what protocols the router supports? It sounds like DLNA and SMB/CIFS are supported, but what about NFS? iSCSI?

And what about security? Are all clients connected to the router basically given full read/write permissions to all files on the USB stick?

Highlighted
Ambassador

Sorry for the delay in responding - I wasn't monitoring this thread.

The connected USB drive can be FAT or NTFS format. There's enough power to run a typical portable hard drive.

There are two different ways to access the connected drive: via the DLNA server (if enabled under the Actiontec Advanced Setup), or as a network drive. When you see "Actiontec Digital Media Server 192.168.1.254" show up in Windows Explorer, that's the DLNA server. It makes media files (video, photos, music) available to stream to DLNA clients. Windows doesn't exactly have a built-in DLNA client - it's actually an optional component of Windows Media Player (since WMP version 11 I think?). That's why you would be prompted about Windows Media Player if you haven't installed the DLNA client in Windows yet.

To access the USB drive as a network drive, you have to enter the Actiontec IP address in the file path of a Windows Explorer window like this: "\\192.168.1.254". Don't miss those double backslashes at the start! That will let you open the file directory of the USB drive under device name storage\usb1_1, and you can use it as a normal network drive - a very slow drive.

The status indication that a USB drive is connected is not always reliable. I sometimes see the Actiontec showing that a USB drive is still mounted long after it has been disconnected. Probably it's because they don't seem to have provided any way to cleanly dismount a drive, which is a bit of an oversight.