cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My story as a new customer so far...

Pyridoxine
Connector

Hello everyone!

Today I decided to share my story of disappointment as a new Telus Internet & Optik TV customer so far.

I was a somewhat "happy" shaw customer with Broadband 100 & Best of HD TV package, then a Telus agent knocked at our door. He told us that Telus is so much better and other marketing blabla of how much money we could save etc.

I of course would never sign anything on the door randomly, so I decided to educate myself first about what Telus offers and for how much money etc. I came to the conclusion that a switch actually seemed very good even though Telus only offers 50Mbps at max.

So me and my wife went to the Telus store at Hillside Mall here in Victoria and talked to an agent called Aaron about switching over. First he "checked" our address to make sure the services I want (optik TV and internet 50) are available. He said they are. He offered us the following: Select Optik TV package with 6 months discount+ a free reciever in a 12 month contract as well as the student promo with the internet 50 for 40$ for 12 months. Also he said if we let them cancel shaw for us, we would get a 100$ credit and on top of that he promised us a 50$ Visa prepaid card. We accepted and signed to switch. On a sidenote he also didn't give us a choice of the theme packs but insisted to tell the technician once he arrives what we want.

Now its important to know the shaw account was in my wifes name and thus our new Telus account is also in her name.

So far so good. 1 week later the technician Tyler arrived to install our services. I have to say that he was a super nice guy and installed the cables etc very nicely and overall I was impressed and happy.

However once I ran a speedtest I seen I only get 15 Mbps and the technician then told me that his paper says he is here to only install Telus Internet 15 and after telling him that we ordered a 50 line he said that I have to talk to customer support about this as well as the theme packs we want because a technician cannot change them and thus he left.

So already feeling quite annoyed with Telus already I started with the chat support and talked to an agent called Lori. She was able to switch the theme packs to the ones we want however - she told me that our place only supports Internet 15 and nothing else and I shall call the technical Support to "figure it out".

So I called the support 310-2255 and talked to the tech support. The tech told me that he does not see any reason why we couldn't get 50mbps and transferred me to customer care. There I talked to a very nice woman called july who actually seemed to care about my situation. She tried to switch our Internet speed to 25 at least but she was not able to because of "ports" were all taken by other customers. Then we suddenly also out that because I am not my wife and I'm not authorized on her account at all that she didn't know if a manager would even speak to me. (Also here let me mention that I was convinced I was authorized since our dear hillside agent asked for both of our phone numbers).

Either way a manager called Jeff talked to me and pretty much told me that he has to talk wife to get the authorization to switch to 50mbps and that he will call us back on monday when my wife is available and in the meantime will "deal with the issue"so we can switch on monday.

Thats the story so far and it honestly has been pretty exhausting but I will update this post once we talked to Jeff again and see if we are actually really able to get 50.

Either way: I feel cheated. I feel like the hillside dude just talked a big pile of fudge to me and didn't even check if we actually can get 50mbps. Also we are not eligible for the 50$ prepaid visa and he plainly lied straight to our face about it. And no 15 Mbps is just unacceptable and if we cant get any higher speed I will instantly switch back to shaw and NEVER ever in my life buy anything from Telus. 

And thanks for reading my little rant. Have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First, glad to see you are getting 50 Mbps, and your home visit was worthy of a Kudos.
Your experience is looking to be causing you frustration from the read over this. With this not being secure, we are unable to follow up here, but we would like to have a Manager look in to this. We would like to see what can be done better in future, as well forward your Kudos to the tech and their manager.
Can you please get to us in chat: http://www.telus.com/chat Twitter: @telussupport or call in 1-888-811-2323?

I apologize this has been a frustrating experience. In no way how we want our Clients to feel.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Pyridoxine
Connector

Monday Update:

I got authorized on the account of my wife and talked to Jeff afterwards. Now I find it rather fascinating that everyone so far told me I cannot get Internet 50 and am stuck with 15 but Jeff simply asked me if I want to upgrade to 50 and I said Hell yea I do.

He asked when a technician can come over to install it and I said anytime. 

He then said he will see when a tech is free and give me a call back in 5 minutes to tell me when its happening.

Except he didn't call back.

Now I want to be optimistic and hope that he simply forgot, but considering my previous Telus experience I doubt it. 

Question: if it all fails and I'm stuck with 15mbps, can I get out of the 12 month contract we signed? 

Or can I at least only pay for Optik TV and still get Shaw Internet?

Either way I will keep this Thread updated to the bitter end since sharing my pain seems it's all I can do at the moment.

@Pyridoxine wrote:

Monday Update:

Question: if it all fails and I'm stuck with 15mbps, can I get out of the 12 month contract we signed? 

Or can I at least only pay for Optik TV and still get Shaw Internet?

The Mods here can better confirm details, but Since you were sold a specific product that can not be used at your location, Telus should be nice and wave the contract. You ordered Internet as well?(but is not at 50Mbps).

On top of that, the sales person at the store sucks at his job and should of been more forward in how you add those theme packs before install. He should of confirmed with Telus that Internet 50 is truly available and not just quote the cheat sheet. All he has done is create a mess for you and got his commission(once install has been fully made and operating).

The Tech dispatch(if it happens) would be to 100% confirm that a 50Mbps port is available and jumper you over to it if available.

Telus Optik TV at 15Mbps, dependent on what protocol(Adsl or Vdsl) is only 1 HD/2SD at Adsl. With Vdsl and dependent on the maximum line rate you can get, 3HD and 1SD at the top end.

Your Telus gateway will have a page with what your line is synced at and the maximum sync available. It should show Vdsl or Adsl.

For resolving this issue to your satisfaction, if Telus does not, The Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

I did just check the xDSL status of the V1000h:

Broadband Mode Setting:MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode:VDSL2 - 8B
Downstream Speed:23295 Kbps
Upstream Speed:3072 Kbps
SNR Downstream :9 dB
SNR Upstream :9 dB
Attenuation Downstream :20 dB
Attenuation Upstream :0 dB
Power Downstream9.7 dBm
Power Upstream-3.3 dBm

is that the sync rate you mentioned? Would that mean I could max ever only get a Download rate of 23 mbps no matter what anyone says?

Pyridoxine wrote:

I did just check the xDSL status of the V1000h: is that the sync rate you mentioned? Would that mean I could max ever only get a Download rate of 23 mbps no matter what anyone says?

---------------------------------------

Is there a spot that says 'attainable rate'?

The Downstream speed is what your profile is set at, with you having what is a small overhead for TV . Each HD stream is about 4-6Mbps.

Internet-15 alone can have a profile around 18Mbps, which gives 15Mbps real speed with 3Mbps overhead.

Pyridoxine
Connector

Nope. No "attainable rate" anywhere to be seen.

Parameter Status

Broadband:Connected
Internet Service Provider:Connected
Connection Status:Showtime
VPI:N/A
VCI:N/A
Broadband Mode Setting:MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode:VDSL2 - 8B
Downstream Speed:23295 Kbps
Upstream Speed:3072 Kbps
SNR Downstream :9 dB
SNR Upstream :10 dB
Attenuation Downstream :20 dB
Attenuation Upstream :0 dB
Power Downstream9.7 dBm
Power Upstream-3.3 dBm
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:454
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :4749
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
PTM VLAN QoS:0
Retrains Number:1
Retrain Timer:2 Days, 6H:29M:17S

That's all there is.

nasty
Rockstar

Maybe that was via Root, I can't seem to find a screenshot at the moment.

Your profile, even though running as Vdsl, is set to what the best top speed for Adsl would be.

With Vdsl you get more upload speed.

Im not sure what it means that my profile is set to top adsl speed at vdsl?

However I googled a bit around and did login as root, however I still cannot see any attainable rate anywhere.

@Pyridoxine wrote:

Im not sure what it means that my profile is set to top adsl speed at vdsl?

Telus tweaks things in the Actiontec, so whats displayed for line statistics may change over time.

With Adsl, the top speed you can ever get is around the 23Mbps. With a 1Mbps upload.

Your stats show you are on Vdsl and 'modem profile 8B'(negotiated mode). 8B is used for Internet-25 and can be used for a Vdsl internet-15. 

A 'modem profile 17A' is used for Internet-50.

With Optik TV there is a QOS(quality of service). Call it TV overhead, which is above your subscribed Internet speed. It is basically the top speed that your line can do and give you 1, 2 or 3 HD streams.  That profile you have now would allow for 1HD stream and a couple of SD streams.

Things are definitely screwed up from what you ordered. With a new Vdsl service, the automated tool on the line will scale up your attainable speed over time, but starting at 23Mbps is not good.

Reboot the Telus Gateway too. Sometimes if a new line profile is pushed out, it needs a reboot to accept it. Usually does it automated now, without user interaction.

If your line maxes out at 23Mbps, thats what you don't want, since you might like more than 1HD stream. You need to try and get to a level 2 at Telus support and have them see if they can say one way or not if you can get internet-50, along with Optik 3HD stream and one SD stream.

If you can't get resolved on the next call, try escalations

https://www.telus.com/order/contact-us/en/escalates.jsp

Pyridoxine
Connector

Tuesday Update:

Jeff still did not call back so I called in again. Jeff was not available at the time I called so the customer agent left a note to call back.

Several hours later he still did not call back, so apparently this whole mess reached a point where my wife couldn't stand it anymore either and called Telus again. Jeff was not available again and the agent said he tried calling back with no answer (I was staring at our cellphone and there is no history of anyone calling) - however this agent my wife talked to explained and cleared up a lot of things, like that we require a second line for Internet 50 etc and the agent (while still telling us that it is jeffs case) still made us a tech appointment to get a second line installed on august 19th between 8 and 10. However she said that they might call back if anything changes ...

I suddenly see hope after all on the horizon, however I'm so paranoid by now that the first thing I did after the call is to check our account online for booked appointments and there is nothing yet.

Either way I will update this thread again if there are any more news about it and I will certainly update it next Tuesday to tell you all how the tech appointment turned out and if my epic quest for Internet 50 reached it's conclusion.

Also if anyone knows when appointments appear at your Telus account overview would be appreciated.

@Pyridoxine wrote:

Tuesday Update:

however this agent my wife talked to explained and cleared up a lot of things, like that we require a second line for Internet 50

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So 'line bonding'? 

The Actiontec V2000H or the new model Actiontec T2200H(if available yet in your area) are used to take two pairs(2 phone lines to your home), which takes two 25Mbps ports and makes Internet-50.

Used in areas where the customer is far enough away from the Telus Dslam that they can't get a single line Internet-50.

Hope the second pair might give you a better download than 23Mbps, so you at least get 50Mbps out of the two. Plus hope more upload than the 3Mbps upload in your current gateway stats, so you get close to 10Mbps upload.

Then Mbps for Optik TV without affecting your Internet speed. Do a Internet speedtest with TV's off(preferably Optik Boxes powered down to avoid background Optik data). Then turn on how many TV's you have and do a speedtest. Optik will get priority(QOS) over Internet to assure no TV signal problems.

Pyridoxine
Connector

I assume its line bonding. Interestingly she said with our one line we cannot upgrade to 25mpbs and in order to get 25 or 50 we require a new line either way. And with that Optik TV gets an upgrade as well for whatever reason.

Also another manager just called to confirm everything and also the tech appointment is booked and viewable in our account.

So I feel quite a bit relieved by now and everything seems to work out. However I will definitely make a speed test on tuesday after the install and post it here.

The only question that remains is:  why not like this from the start? why did I have to go through countless people and support calls to get that?

Hi sorry to hear you are having the difficulties getting what you ordered in the first place. Glad to hear the second tech should be able to clear up the issue. Just keep in mind that the high speed 50 is up to 50 and knowing that it sounds like you are getting loop bonding (the two lines) it may not be a full 50..... It sounds like the entire issue was that only High speed 15 was ordered and if high speed 50 had of been ordered then the loop bonding would have been requested. These types of orders take a little more effort to setup, so it may have been an oversight as the store doesn't enter the order and high speed 50 isn't always available depending how and where it it checked. You will enjoy everything once it's in tho!

As per your question, you should have full 3 hd and 1 sd streams simultaneously. And depending on how much tv you are using your speed would vary from 25-50 Mbps.

@Pyridoxine wrote:

The only question that remains is:  why not like this from the start? why did I have to go through countless people and support calls to get that?

Your account/install is likely now in the hands of a higher level tech who can override the set qualifications of each service.

Your first line didn't qualify for Internet-25(23Mbps), so they installed Internet-15, with the line still having enough overhead for Optik TV with 1-HD and some SD.

With no qualification for single 25, then no 50 in line bonding, without the override. There is a rare Internet-25/Optik with line bonding

Pyridoxine
Connector

Final update:

After I got a call this morning telling me the tech would a bit "Late" I already feared the worst. However at around 5pm a tech finally showed up and it took forever but he installed a completely new line and I'm at 52mbps now. 

I'm not a happy a Telus customer but **bleep** I'm relieved. Also fun fact: because the 50mbps is a new line coming from the outside directly to the living room and the previous tech refused to do it and instead drilled a hole through the bedroom wall to connect the living room to the old wire - I have now a random hole in the wall.

Also lots of kudos to the tech who came over, incredibly helpful, professional and patient person.

First, glad to see you are getting 50 Mbps, and your home visit was worthy of a Kudos.
Your experience is looking to be causing you frustration from the read over this. With this not being secure, we are unable to follow up here, but we would like to have a Manager look in to this. We would like to see what can be done better in future, as well forward your Kudos to the tech and their manager.
Can you please get to us in chat: http://www.telus.com/chat Twitter: @telussupport or call in 1-888-811-2323?

I apologize this has been a frustrating experience. In no way how we want our Clients to feel.

View solution in original post

Pyridoxine
Connector

Seriously. What the hell is going on with you Telus?!

Can I not finally have what I actually ordered and was promised??? Today I received my bill and after all the fudge I went through with this absolutely worst customer service I have ever encountered in my entire life you guys removed my 12 month student discount now and charge me full price.... seriously?

I hope you know that after this little 12 month contract runs out I will run begging back to shaw.

//EDIT I just called after the chat support of course couldn't help me (again) and the woman there applied the discount again to my account. *sigh* you guys just make me depressed.

Elle
Just Moved In
I don't know when you signed up, but read your contract. If it says you are to have all what the sales person said to you. Then you can void your contract, the four corners of a contract has to be held up by both parties not just one. If everything is in your contract then you have a case.

Also to knew customers signing up with any company, should make sure everything the sales person is telling you is in your contract. Make sure to have them write it in and don't let them bring up something else to distract you. Keep your head clear and make sure it is in writing. Ask questions such as:

Does my area support that internet connection.

Will I be able to upgrade and if so when? Get a date!

Salesman or saleswoman is looking to either get commission or look good in the eyes of the company.

Like anything in this world you have to take care of your needs and not theirs.

Not everyone is honest unfortunately.