cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My land line is not working. I am located in Southwest Edmonton. Is this a system issue or isolated

Deidre
Neighbour

I don't have a cell phone, but thankfully the internet is still working.  

I have emailed people to try to call me and it rings forever.  I try to call out and on local calls it claims its a long distance call and it won't go through.  I have a ring tone, so sounds likes its fine, but no in or out going calls can be placed.

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Could be a crossed line or some other physical line issue outside your house. You'll want to get a hold of Telus directly to get that fixed ASAP. If you don't have access to any phone, try the voice chat on the contact page.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

JC3
Just Moved In

Hey Deidre,

What part of SW Edmonton are you in? I'm in Windermere and experiencing issues with my phone. No dial tone, and phone says to check tel line. When people tried to call, it would just ring and ring. It wasn't due to a faulty device cause a simple corded phone didn't work in any jacks in the house nor plugging it directly into port 1 of the ONT. I had a tech come by yesterday and appeared to fix it by bypassing a short between a box to my telephone module to all the telephone lines in my house. However, today I came back to it having the same message on our phone display to check tel line and no dial tone. This time when I try calling our line, it gives a busy signal. 

Wondering if your issue got sorted out and how as this is getting a little irritating. Nothing had changed in our home setup prior to this occurring. I'm wondering if there is an issue at the local box that is causing the issue intermittently like a short... Anyways, the tech is on his way again, but thought I'd see if there are any solutions out there I can suggest that worked for others. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're about 3 weeks late on this discussion. The vast majority of landline issues are NOT system outages and can have a multitude of causes. If you're on fibre, call Telus now from your cell or by chat. Fibre has different issues compared to traditional copper phone lines. Most issues can be fixed quite quickly.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I am more North up Anthony Henday & not in Windermere

I went through on-line help and there was some issue at their end and it was fixed by morning with NO one coming to the house to fix it.

Probably not a help to you though.

Sent from my iPod

JC3
Just Moved In

Hi Diedre,

Thanks for your reply. Actually my problem appears also to have happened due to some programming on the backend and nothing wrong with hardware at my location (so similar) so I do appreciate your reply. However when the problem first arose and I went through the live chat, there was no mention to debug the issue remotely so they set up a tech service appointment. During that time he replace the ONT, and through the registration of the new device, the issue appeared to be correctly temporarily, but it appears it was only coincidental, and the issue was always on the backend. So I'm hopeful that the issue is permanently addressed now.

Nighthawk, while I know Diedre's OP was 3 weeks ago, I figured it was worth a shot to if the issue persisted, an might provide a possible solution that the tech might not of thought of. Also, I don't think anywhere in her post she mentioned her phone line was from a traditional copper line to suggest we wouldn't have similar issues. Anyways, there appears to be inefficiencies in the service approach in that they did not try to fix my issue from their end first. You would think they would check everything on their end before a tech gets sent out, yet the tech said that the fix wouldn't like get done without a tech being on site asking for it. So round and round it goes...

Cheers and thanks for all the replies!

Perfect reply, JC3...it does sound similar (and we are in a new area, just as you are).

Totally agree there was inefficiencies in the service approach you received.

Glad yours is fixed now.