My Fibre Internet 150/150 install photos and diagram

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Telus tech installed the internet 150 last weekend (no 4k PVR).  My Ethernet distribution design diagram and installation photos are attached.  I will post some user experience as time goes on.  Any question/comment, don't hesitate to ask. Smiley Happy

FTTH Fiber internet 150 Distribution Diagram

FTTH SCo1.png

Alcatel Lucent 240-G ONT

P1010835w.jpg

Actiontec T3200M router with WD NAS

P1010835w.jpg

Extender - WEB 6000Q
P1010833w.jpg

Highlighted
Connector

Did you already have Cat5 between the garage, basement and main floor or was that new with the fibre install? Am wondering how Telus are proposing to retrofit homes with only copper pair wiring.

Highlighted
Ambassador

I designed the Cat 5e distribution wiring and had it installed by an electrician before Telus tech show up.  It was a tough job for my electrician to do it in a concealed manner, but we managed.

If you don't have Cat 5e, you may want to discuss with Telus tech the use of MoCA adapters to make use of any built-in coax cable in your home.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The powers of a fish tape you would be surprised what one can do. Of course attic access is the cats meow but 2 level houses or finished basements make it more fun.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Resident
Thanks for sharing.
Was the extender provided by telus? I just onboarded a few weeks ago and got the alcatel and actiontech.
Highlighted
Resident
I should mention that I have fibre 150.
Highlighted
Ambassador

@Deeparkshakur wrote:
Thanks for sharing.
Was the extender provided by telus? I just onboarded a few weeks ago and got the alcatel and actiontech.

Yes, the Actiontec WEB6000 was provided by Telus.  I also have a Trendnet router which I configured to be a WiFi AP (extender) and installed at the garage.  This is shown in the Ethernet loop diagram. On this photo, you can see that the ONT feeds terminal 1 of the Cat5e connector on the wall that feeds the router, and terminal 3 coming from the Telus extender then feeds WiFi extender (Trendnet) at the garage.  The wall terminals are labelled.  

P1010835w.png

The most recent speed test using WiFi 5G on 802.ac from the Telus extender is:

SpeedTest 5730375635.png

A low power - medium speed WiFi for the garage to allow OTA software update.  The aluminum foil at the back is simply to reflect the signal towards the intended client.P1010836w.png

Highlighted
Ambassador

@WestCoasterBC wrote:

The powers of a fish tape you would be surprised what one can do. Of course attic access is the cats meow but 2 level houses or finished basements make it more fun.

True.  And fishing the cable in a finished basement is lots of "fun" especially when the main floor joist is on the cable path!

Highlighted
Coach

Can use MoCA with existing coax.  It's included on the T3200M router unless that is just for PVR boxes and wifi extenders.   I'm assuming you just need another MoCA adapter on the ONT end to make it work.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

None of the Optik boxes or devices currently support MoCA yet. The T3200M gateway is the MoCA device that would be at the ONT end. You'd need a second adapter for it to work and they're $150 Canadian online. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

@samiam wrote:

Can use MoCA with existing coax.  It's included on the T3200M router unless that is just for PVR boxes and wifi extenders.   I'm assuming you just need another MoCA adapter on the ONT end to make it work.

Per T3200M manual MoCA is only a LAN port.  For the router to connect to the ONT, WAN port is required.  Therefore what you suggested will not work.

Highlighted
Advisor

I have a question which I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but they are rolling out Fibre in my town.  With the Extender from Telus, it broadcasts different SSID's then the T3200M right?

Highlighted
Ambassador

@SmokeJV wrote:

I have a question which I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but they are rolling out Fibre in my town.  With the Extender from Telus, it broadcasts different SSID's then the T3200M right?

Yes, If you have extender, you will have a total of 5 SSID unless disable the ones you don't need.  The fifth one being the OptikTV SSID which you cannot disable.

Highlighted
Coach

So, here we go. SCo that's not a bad job there. For the rest, MoCa is only used with 4K . The 3200 coax output works with HCNA and MoCa. But not at the same time on the same coax run. The PVR must be on a dedicated run. That is, coax directly to the 4K pvr where a MoCa adapter is needed to break out the ethernet to the pvr. That coax run cannot be split. The others must be fed by ethernet via a MoCa adapter, then by splitter/coax to each stb where another MoCa adapter and ethernet cable must be used. Those stb's (330s and wireless) must be manually upgraded to the 4K firmware client by the tech. You don't have to buy your own MoCa adapters, we provide them. This only applies to 4K TTV. Coax is a PIA. Get Cat5e at all cost. DIY or whatever, lose the coax. 

Highlighted
Ambassador

I do not have 4k tv, so MoCA does not apply. The tech had an easy install, since most of the wiring had been pre-installed.