Moving - services need to change

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Phantom1975
Connector
Hey there

Sadly moving this weekend my current services are

Optik TV

Int 50

I'm told I can keep my tv however Internet may drop to 15 or 25..my question becomes is that going cause problems with the tv ? Sufficient for app use and of course tv watching ? I assume 4 K is out the window for now ...my rommie has his own shaw internet connection bthat will be coming with us so the Telus connect would be more for just the tv I guess...thoughts ? Suggestions ..ideas ?

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It depends on the number of streams available to you. If you have 1 HD and 2 SD then you can watch & record up to 1 HD and 2 SD. If you have 2 HD and 1 SD then you can watch and record up to 2 HD and 1 SD. If you are both watching an HD stream, then you can only record 1 SD stream.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus sells the internet / TV package with enough data headroom for both HD TV (usually 3 streams) plus the described internet feed. You should not notice degradation of either under normal circumstances.

NFtoBC
Phantom1975
Connector
Thanks again for the help... according to the Twitter folks it will be internet 15 ..I have three tvs so will require one more box...the answer now seems to be ...We don't know if it will work with in 15..in some cases it might but no real way to know..doesn't sound very hopeful does it ? If it does work am I likely to notice huge slow downs in channel tuning etc ? Like I said my roomie is bringing his shaw interwebs so...I could just leave the Telus net simply for the tv if that helps ?

I guess the other option is a rep told me when I booked the move no I can just get the tv as a standalone product don't need internet.. how would that affect things ?
Phantom1975
Connector
Follow up to this..continues to be a frustrating move..Telus reps on the phone and the chat still can't figure out what speed internet I can get...Was told 15...then oh no it's 25 ,then oh wait that rep was right it is 15...chatting with reps via twitter last night oh that's in 25 ...Maybe we can only see what the port can support

The site says 15 so I have no idea what to expect and neither clearly do the reps... preparing myself for what might await tho anyone have any experience with optik and in 15 ? How was it? Any problems using apps like Netflix etc ?
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I’ve used Netflix on 6 Mbps.

NFtoBC
Phantom1975
Connector

And how will this affect TV viewing I wonder , I assume this will drop on in15 to 3 streams two sd and one hd or something like that If i'm also using Netflix will other TV's see pixels or any noticeable service degradation ? Also something else I can't get clear anwers from , one rep says yes one rep says no .. Does VOD count as a stream or no ? Hoping to keep my services cause I like them especially the TV portion I'm in my first 30 days so I can still cancel but would rather not .. Here's hoping

Thank you

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

VOD is a stream.

One of the reasons you may not be able to get a solid answer to your speed question, is the line quality between the Telus switch and your home affects the speed you will be supplied.

NFtoBC
Phantom1975
Connector

OOO so it's possible , in25 may happen ?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is a chance. They may not know until it's installed and test the line speed.

For the longest time I previously had 15 shared between internet and tv, and didn't have any issues. Only limitation I had was the number of available HD streams (1HD, 2 SD) which will limit the number of boxes you can use at once.  If the available line speed in your area is a bit higher, you might qualify for 2HD/1SD.

I'm up to 25 now (max available on my lines here) but I'm using what's called a bonded connection. Two phone lines. I have one 25mbps line dedicated for just TV and one for internet. This option is not available in all areas as it depends on how many spare ports Telus has on the equipment that feeds the line to your new place. Whether or not that will work for you is hard to say. That option was also only available to TV customers last I heard.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Phantom1975
Connector

Thanks for the reply ... I'm holding out hope , where I am now I had one tv so one box .. Where I'm going I'll have three TV's so I assume three boxes .. Granted these won't all be in use at once so I'm assuming we could be watching as many as two shows at once while recording an SD one ? or some similar combo ?

Basically will depend on if we are all in one room watching the same tv or if wife is in one room watching something and I'm in another watching something different I guess? That should work correct ? Assuming in 15 sorry lots of questions but I'd like to keep the services 😄

One last question Also .. Is it worth asking the Tech if a bonded pair would be a good work around ? Or is it something he will think to do on his own if it will work ? Is there an additional cost at all ?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

No additional cost for a bonded connection for me. It couldn't hurt to ask the installer about it. Again it'll depend how many ports are available in the area. If not available and you're just on plain 15, if the service is set up as 2HD you could use 2 boxes in HD. If only 1HD, one box in HD and the other in standard def. The installer should be able to confirm all of this based on your specific install.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Phantom1975
Connector

so if I have two people watching tv in two different rooms that would be enough for watching one show on each of the boxes.. and one of the boxes recording a show ? Am I thinking of this right ?

Thanks again I'll hope for the in25 on Sat when I move in , and failing that I'll mention the bonded pair possibility to the tech and see how that goes

Again thanks so much

Most Helpful
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It depends on the number of streams available to you. If you have 1 HD and 2 SD then you can watch & record up to 1 HD and 2 SD. If you have 2 HD and 1 SD then you can watch and record up to 2 HD and 1 SD. If you are both watching an HD stream, then you can only record 1 SD stream.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

Phantom1975
Connector

Thank you for your help all I'll wait till Sat and hope for in25.. Or luck asking the tech if he can install a bonded pair

Thanks again and I'm sure I'll ask more questions as we go 😄

Phantom1975
Connector

Move all done I do in fact have internet 15 which sucks but as I said my roomie has shaw 150 so that makes up for it .. One thing somewhat annoying the tech told me that my signal levels where good he was going to have tech support push through for three HD streams .. I see in stream profile on the box it self that hasn't happened .. I texted him a reminder and he's like oh yeah that willl update here shortly .. 24 hrs later still not done and he's stopped responding to text's asking for any update 

Final Edit : Was able to get someone at Telus bump me up to Three HD Streams + 1 SD

John8
Connector

I read one of your responses, below, to a thread. How did Telus have the internet not impacted with Optik TV? I just switched over to Optik TV with internet 25. Having two TV's on at the same time kills the internet speed. Down to 10. Telus says nothing can be done. Uninstalled the Optik TV and went back to Shaw.

I'm on bonded (2 lines) also but my area only supports 25mbps per line so since I have Optik, my max internet speed is 25. My Connection status still has 55232/7168. One line is for internet (25mbps > speedtest: 29 down, 7 up) and one is for Optik only so internet is not impacted when TV is on.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@John8 wrote:

I read one of your responses, below, to a thread. How did Telus have the internet not impacted with Optik TV? I just switched over to Optik TV with internet 25. Having two TV's on at the same time kills the internet speed. Down to 10. Telus says nothing can be done. Uninstalled the Optik TV and went back to Shaw.

By effectively having Internet 25 on 2 of the 4 wires in a telephone cable, and Optik on the other 2 wires. In some markets it is sold as Internet 50, and when bundled with Optik delivers slower internet speeds. However, in Nighthawk's area Internet 50 is not available.

(Nighthawk:)

I'm on bonded (2 lines) also but my area only supports 25mbps per line so since I have Optik, my max internet speed is 25. My Connection status still has 55232/7168. One line is for internet (25mbps > speedtest: 29 down, 7 up) and one is for Optik only so internet is not impacted when TV is on.

NFtoBC