cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my modem

Brevity
Neighbour
I need to move my modem to a more central location in my home because neither my pc nor my Xbox are able to connect to the network and our phones barely have any WiFi signal in our living room. I tried just moving the modem and plugging into the most central jack but it looks like there is a pots splitter(I think that's what it's called) and when I pulled the jack out of the wall to investigate it turns out it's completely disconnected. Do I really have to schedule a service call for this? I'm new to Telus and I'm really not pleased. It's 2018. I shouldn't have to schedule a house call to move a modem.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You don't have to schedule a tech visit; there is no prohibition of you doing it yourself, or having an electrician of your choosing do the work. It is SIMPLER to have Telus do the work, as they have access to the point of demarcation, where the Filter (POTS splitter) is located, and they can easily switch the wires to include the new location you wish to place the modem.

You could also get a Boost Wi-Fi extender to cover dead spots in your house.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You don't have to schedule a tech visit; there is no prohibition of you doing it yourself, or having an electrician of your choosing do the work. It is SIMPLER to have Telus do the work, as they have access to the point of demarcation, where the Filter (POTS splitter) is located, and they can easily switch the wires to include the new location you wish to place the modem.

You could also get a Boost Wi-Fi extender to cover dead spots in your house.

NFtoBC

By the looks of it I should just be able to remove the filter and reconnect the wires to the jack. Do I then need to move the filter to the other jack that was previously being used or can I just leave that one alone?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the filter is a dongle placed at the phone jack, yes, you should be able to connect the wires at the new jack, and move the filter, assuming the far end of the wiring is properly connected to Telus’ incoming wire. If, on the other hand, the filter is at the Telus point of demarcation, then a Telus employee would have access.

NFtoBC

This is the jack I want to move the modem to. Just so I'm sure I understand, I should be able to disconnect this grey thing that I think is the filter and reconnect the jack and I'm done? Or do I have to connect the grey thing to the old jack first?

Whoops. Forgot to link the pic.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XIeXtZE

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

That appears to be the filter USUALLY placed in the exterior Telus Point of Demarcation, so yes, you should be able to move it, and connect it smilarly at another.

Keep notes of the current installation as a fallback!

NFtoBC

You should only need to place the filter on the other jack, if you are actually going to use that jack.  If the jack you are moving the modem from is not going to be used, then you don't need to put the filter on it.  

Syaoran
Rockstar

Are you worried about them charging you for the service call?  If so, then just explain to them your issue and tell them if they charge you for the service call, that you will save them the time and switch providers.  In most cases, that will be enough to get them to waive that charge.