More Clarity in Internet Plans

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Resident

I periodicaly get calls from persistent Telus salespeople trying to get me upgrade my internet services.  After another irritating call yesterday, I decided to check what my plan is to see if it was sufficient for me.  My Telus eBill does not state what plan I'm currently on so I decided to check my Telus user profile and it says that I'm on "Optik High Speed (V1)". The Telus website offers several options: Internet 1, Internet 6, Internet 15, Internet 25 and Internet 50.  There is nothing on the Telus website about the Optic High Speed (V1) plan that I'm on.  I eventually had to contact a Telus agent on to find out that my plan "corresponds to" the Telus Internet 15 plan.  With this information, I was able to look up my download speed and my data usage.  Only then was I able to determine that my current plan is adequate for my needs.  My question is this:  Why does Telus not use the same terminology on my eBill and on my user profile as it uses on the plans that it offers on its website?  It is not possible to check what my speed and monthly data limits are by using the information on my eBill and on my user profile.  Presumably this makes it easier for Telus salespersons to try to sell upgrades to people who don't really need them.  

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Rockstar

When Telus rolled out the higher speeds and Optik TV, they used names that only lasted a couple of years before The current names. I'd call it a marketing error.

The old names(even from way back) are still on the customer portal, as Telus still has not scrubbed them from the billing system.

With the old names, there is terms such as,  version 1 ,2 ,3

http://www.telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=change...

Existing Customer Internet Plans:     New TELUS Internet Plans

Optik Internet 50        ---  TELUS Internet 50
HS Internet 50

Optik High Speed Turbo    ----  TELUS Internet 25
High Speed Turbo 25

Optik High Speed      -----  TELUS Internet 15
High Speed Turbo

High Speed               ---- TELUS Internet 1.5 , 3 , 6
High Speed Enhanced
High Speed Extreme

High Speed Lite       ----  TELUS Internet 1

View solution in original post

All Replies
Community Power User
Community Power User
If you are satisfied with your download speeds, isn't that all the info you need to thwart the persistent marketer? I get marketing material all the time about new stuff. I usually only need know my current thingy meets my needs, rather than how good it is compared to the new (more costly) thingy.

Plans have changed over the years, as has what's marketed. Many of us are grandfathered into old plans with old names, and sometimes using old technology. To expect those categories to change because there is a new product being offered is not realistic. I do agree it would be useful to have a description of the product, including the speed on the 'my account' section.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
Rockstar

When Telus rolled out the higher speeds and Optik TV, they used names that only lasted a couple of years before The current names. I'd call it a marketing error.

The old names(even from way back) are still on the customer portal, as Telus still has not scrubbed them from the billing system.

With the old names, there is terms such as,  version 1 ,2 ,3

http://www.telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=change...

Existing Customer Internet Plans:     New TELUS Internet Plans

Optik Internet 50        ---  TELUS Internet 50
HS Internet 50

Optik High Speed Turbo    ----  TELUS Internet 25
High Speed Turbo 25

Optik High Speed      -----  TELUS Internet 15
High Speed Turbo

High Speed               ---- TELUS Internet 1.5 , 3 , 6
High Speed Enhanced
High Speed Extreme

High Speed Lite       ----  TELUS Internet 1

View solution in original post

Resident

Do not upgrade or you will be on a cap!

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jjanossy  - All plans have caps, including the existing ones. They have been like that for years. Telus just hasn't enforced the caps. They will likely enforce them in the future, just like Shaw already is.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jjanossy

Yeah, folks are going to stay with their less than 6Mbps service when Optik 100 comes to their neighbourhood, just to avoid a cap! Unlikely.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"