cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Questions

BobVS
Just Moved In

I.m thinking of moving from Shaw to Telus but first have a few questions:

1) Can I connect my router to the Telus modem?

2) The  modem will be in a different room from the TV.  The cable will need to run down into the basement, along the undeveloped basement ceiling and up through the floor to the TV.  I will do this.  But, what sort of cable is required?  co-axial, Ethernet , or ?

3) Does the Telus modem have a USB port I can use to power a USB device?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Zman2k2
Ambassador

1. Yes.  Go into the "Advanced Settings" on the Telus router, find "Port Bridging", turn it on, and port 1 on the Telus modem is where you connect your router.  That leads to question 2...

2. Ethernet cable.  Telus will run it for you on initial install if you want, or you could get your own.

3. The USB port on the Telus router is non-functioning.  Use the one on your own router instead.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Zman2k2
Ambassador

1. Yes.  Go into the "Advanced Settings" on the Telus router, find "Port Bridging", turn it on, and port 1 on the Telus modem is where you connect your router.  That leads to question 2...

2. Ethernet cable.  Telus will run it for you on initial install if you want, or you could get your own.

3. The USB port on the Telus router is non-functioning.  Use the one on your own router instead.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
@BobVS

1. You can use your own modem. Bridged (Port 1)
2. The installer can use a MoCA adapter and use the existing coax, or if you wish you can run a Cat5e/Cat6. A hard wired network connection is always the preferred method.

Many of us let the Telus supplied modem handle Optik TV service, and use our own routers that handle everything else.

3. The 3200M has a USB port that can supply power to a device.