Massive data usage

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

phil2017
Resident

My data usage since jan 2016 has usually fallen between 80 and 172 gigs a month. January 2017 usage has 8 days to go and I am at 462 gigs. Today after checking the usage at 9.40am it was 428 gigs. At 4.39pm it was 462gigs, a increase of 34 gigs. This was without any netflix and only an hour on the xbox, no torrents and the wifi at the router only being switched on at 11am as it had been turned off over night.  We have 2 laptops that are monitored, 2 tablets, one being switched off and the other only on for one hour and 3 phones used for only maybe a couple of hours each. The password was changed by a tech on tuesday and still the usage is nuts.

Any ideas ?. I have phoned the tech department and they are monitoring it until the end of the billing period.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

On uTorrent, make sure your upload speed is capped. If not, while you're downloading, uTorrent will be sending out as much data as your connection allows.

Method 1: In the bottom right of the uTorrent window, right click on the text starting with "U:" and make sure it's not set to Unlimited.

Method 2: Choose Options > Preferences > Bandwidth > then make sure under Global Upload Rate Limiting that Maximum Upload Rate has a number other than 0 in the box.

To make sure your torrents stop automatically, go to Options > Preferences > Queueing > and under Seeding Goal in the middle of the window, put zero in all three boxes as well as the last box below.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any chance one of your devices may have a virus?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
You mentioned torrents.. Are you 100% sure you don't have a torrent client running and uploading data. Most torrent clients by default run on startup.

As stated I would be looking at your devices for a virus. Especially using torrents..

Glasswire is a good tool for windows to monitor the connection.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
phil2017
Resident

I looked at Glasswire and it doesnt support xp. As for the torrents, I am sure it is not on as Utorrent shows up on the task bar and I always shut it down after downloading. 

Most Helpful
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

On uTorrent, make sure your upload speed is capped. If not, while you're downloading, uTorrent will be sending out as much data as your connection allows.

Method 1: In the bottom right of the uTorrent window, right click on the text starting with "U:" and make sure it's not set to Unlimited.

Method 2: Choose Options > Preferences > Bandwidth > then make sure under Global Upload Rate Limiting that Maximum Upload Rate has a number other than 0 in the box.

To make sure your torrents stop automatically, go to Options > Preferences > Queueing > and under Seeding Goal in the middle of the window, put zero in all three boxes as well as the last box below.

View solution in original post

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
@phil2017 why are you still using xp? I would be highly suspect of that computer right off the bat. Since it's no longer receives security updates since April 2014. I would disconnect it from the network a few days and monitor your data.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.