cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing Fail

nlacusta
Neighbour

Yesterday, I received an envelope from Telus containing a single bag of popcorn. First, while I understand that this is a gesture of appreciation to loyal customers, I am perplexed that such a company does not realize how wasteful this is. Telus has a huge customer base. To think that tens of thousands of bags of popcorn are being mailed at any given time is such a waste of money and resources, especially given the recent news of a potential national postal strike. Secondly, the piece of paper that accompanied said popcorn was a credit for an on-demand movie. I received this yesterday July 6th. The credit expired June 24th. So you can imagine how unimpressed I am with this whole situation. I have a relatively simple cable package and I find the fees I am paying to be very high for the limited content. I have been on the fence for months as to whether I cancel cable altogether and just stick with my Netflix account (which is well worth the low monthly fee). Honestly, I would have preferred you not send that letter, save the approx $1.00 cost of the popcorn plus postage and give me a discount for the few dollars on my next bill instead of wasting the time and money on this letter that accomplished nothing more than putting a sour taste in my mouth. As a company, I like Telus. Aside from the high fees, I have had good experiences with the company but I seriously think it needs to think through some of its strategies.

12 REPLIES 12

vishwa
Leader

I didn't get that package and hope I don't.  I completely agree with you.  An email indicating they appreciated your business and as a token of appreciation a movie or two or a bill credit of $5-10 would have been better and far more environmentally responsible.  I hope they did it in a very small test market.

nlacusta
Neighbour

Thanks vishwa,

I appreciate the support. To add to this situation. I am confused as to why they sent me to this forum. I initially wrote an email to them. They responded by saying that I should post this on the neighborhood forum. Now, I just feel like this complaint is getting lost in all the other feeds. They already took the time to respond to my email. Why would they not just respond to the originally email? I feel like their intention with this forum is for the complaint to eventually fizzle out and be forgotten. Now, I feel neglected and am even more pissed off. 

This doesn't have to be complicated. I really just want them to acknowledge the wastefulness and state that they will not be sending me another single bag of popcorn and expired coupon... well and I guess now apologize for wasting more of my time with this forum. 

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are employees of Telus that do monitor social media channels/forums etc that do work for Telus. Even if they don't post often, they do actively read posts and can have discussions behind the scenes. Rest assured they do see posts and occasionally do answer outright.

This is a community forum so normal people like you and me that like Telus products can give knowledge to others seeking answers. While it may seem things get ignored or fall on deaf ears, it's farther from the truth.

Hi WestCoastBC,

Thank you for your response. I understand that there are definite benefits to this forum. I don't want to knock it in general but in my case I have already been in communication via email and find this forum redundant. And the only response from Telus I have received was in response to this forum and not my original issue. Can you please respond to the original issue?

-Natalie

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
We will have to wait and see if someone from Telus will chime in. To answer your overall question.

As for the popcorn giveaway I don't think many have received it or there would have been more noise on the forums. It was probably a select few. The expired movie credit is something they can and should address though.

Wait what do you mean "We will have to wait and see if someone from Telus will chime in."

Who are you and why are you giving the impression that you are with Telus?

If you are not with Telus, then that confirms that this whole feed has been useless in terms of resolving any issues. 

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is a "Community" forum made up of normal users like you and me..

As a "community power user" we have been recognized by Telus employee's and assigned the title. By contributing a wealth of information and our knowledge on posts by normal users throughout the years of experience on the Boards. Generally when we answer questions, Telus employees will respond faster if need be. Not in all cases but exceptions they will.

As i stated before, give them some time to respond. They're aware of your complaint.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Natalie,

The Neighbourhood may have been suggested so you could post an IDEA as to how Telus might provide a better incentive for their customers. 

As @WestCoasterBC has stated, this space is for knowledge sharing, not complaint resolution. The participants here have no insight or access to the inner workings of Telus.

Had I received the popcorn, I would have popped it and eaten it, or given it to the kids next door. If the coupon was expired, I would have reached out to Telus asking for it to be updated if I did want to use it. If not, it could go in the recycling pile with all the other stuff which comes to my mailbox.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

NFtoBC,

I don't want things to get nasty. The way in which WestCoasterBC responded to the messages gave me the impression that they are affiliated with Telus. I understand now that they are not. 

As for the complaint resolution, my whole point is that I never wanted to be writing on this forum in the first place. It was Telus that instructed me in a private email to post on this feed after I reached out to them. So I am not exactly sure what you want me to do. I would have much preferred to settle this privately. 

As for the popcorn, don't worry. I will be sure to feed the children. This issue, at its core, is not about popcorn. It is a matter of realizing the wastefulness of their marketing strategy. It is unfortunate, too, that the coupon happened to be expired. I realize this sounds petty but just think how much was spent on sending these bags (especially given that when the original message was sent, there was the real threat of a national postal strike). This mentality is not right. 

Anyways, this really doesn't have to be a big deal. All I really want basically is for Telus to acknowledge the fact and not waste anymore of their resources by sending me a bag of popcorn. I generally like Telus. Up until now, I have had good experiences. I hope that eventually I am heard. 

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @nlacusta,

By and large, our marketing campaigns exist to acknowledge the loyalty of customers such as yourself. A few campaigns can run concurrently with different ones. Some prove to be more popular than others. Certainly we learn from each and every one. We'll definitely pass your feedback along to our marketing teams.

With that said, can you send me a private message containing your account details so that we can fix that VOD voucher for you?

Thanks! 🙂

dru

TELUS Neighbourhood Community Manager

Hi Dru,

Thank you for your response. All that I ask is that my message is passed on and considered. 

Don't worry about the voucher. I don't need it. But I do suggest next time they look at the expiration dates more closely.

Thanks,

Natalie 

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@nlacusta

Absolutely. We're always looking for opportunities to improve 🙂

If you change your mind about the voucher, feel free to send me a private message!