cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marantz receiver and hdcp 2.2 video error fix

grandmaster
Helpful Neighbour

I thought I would post this as it might help others with a Marantz receiver. 

I just purchased a Marantz nr1508 (sounds great btw) for my bedroom, and had optik tv installed with the latest 4k boxes. I have an older samsung 1080 hd tv. When I hooked up the Telus 4k optik box to the Marantz receiver, and then out to my tv, I got sound but no picture due to a hdcp error. Basically the hdcp 2.2 from the optik 4k box, and marantz receiver won't work with an older hdcp 1.4 tv. 

After searching the telus forums, I read many are using a hdmi splitter which is only certified for older versions of hdmi (1.3, 1.4) which limits hdcp to 1.4 and therefore the home theatre receiver will now output this version as well.

I hated the idea of using a splitter. I did more reading and stumbled across this hdmi diagnostics document for the Marantz receiver. You can access an onboard menu where you can limit hdcp version, by input, to 1.4. I tried this and it worked perfect. No more HDCP 2.2 error, and no splitter needed. There are many more interesting functions such as onboard hdmi cable testing ability. 

http://www.theaav.com/uploads/2/6/0/1/26016310/marantz_hdmi_diagnostics_and_troubleshooting_eng_im_v...

If Marantz is doing this, I assume Denon is as well, but perhaps other manufactures build this ability into their receivers.

1 REPLY 1

vishwa
Leader

Thanks for the tip.  However, it seems to be restricted to 2017 models(and maybe onwards).  There is an equivalent document for Denon for the Marantz counterparts of 2017 models(basically xx14 series the corresponding Series).  I tried it with my AVR x3200w and it didn't work. Would have been nice if it worked.