Many questions!

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hey everyone.

My internet has been extremely bad lately, as I've recently built a new PC and placed it upstairs, which is where I do everything now, and my router is in the basement.

Even with a WIFI extender, my speed is still sub-par. 5 - 15 mb/s with Internet 15 is promised (don't ask, I can't afford anything better), and I usually get below five. Along with this, I have horrible ping spikes while gaming (~1000 ping spikes!), so this is EXTREMELY annoying.

So, I have a couple questions.

First of all, there are numerous outlets around the house with coaxial outlets and ethernet outlets.

I've googled some stuff, and some people say that I have to get a technician in to "activate" the coaxial outlets, or else it won't provide a connection to TELUS. Is this true?

Second of all, if I plug a cat5/cat6 cable into the ethernet outlet, will it provide a ethernet connection?

Third, can I possibly use a third-party router by plugging a ethernet cable into the ports on my modem/router combo and setting it up as normal?

Hope these questions can be answered. Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Wireless is something you do not want to use for gaming. Especially with the router so far away and so many environmental obstacles in the way between it and your PC. It's just asking for problems including slow speeds.

Telus doesn't use the coaxial outlets. Coax needs extra hardware that's not cheap. The tech visit if they even came out wouldn't be cheap either.

If you have actual ethernet jacks (and not just phone jacks) find out where the other end of the lines are. They should all go somewhere. If you can find it try running an ethernet switch or router to that spot from your modem and you could in theory hardwire your whole house if desired. It would be by far the easiest and cheapest thing to do. 

Here's my setup:

SmartPanel.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour

Wow, your setup is way, way superior to mine.

I'll see what I can do with the ethernet jacks. Might be difficult, but anything for faster wifi!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Snicket wrote: 

Third, can I possibly use a third-party router by plugging a ethernet cable into the ports on my modem/router combo and setting it up as normal?

Yes. My suggestion would be to find a way to connect one of the Ethernet ports near your computer to the Telus Gateway, as suggested by @Nighthawk and put your own router beside your computer. Just be sure it does not have the same IP address as the Telus gateway (usually 192.168.1.254). you could use 192.168.2.xxx or higher for your router.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

Oh! And while I'm asking questions, how good is PureFibre? I really hope that it's going to be as good as it appears to be, but if it's a minimal improvement, I'll be sort of disappointed, haha. (I'm one of the poor saps who's in "Planned for Future Phases" territory).

Highlighted
Neighbour

i have a 3ms ping on Wifi with PureFibre, and before when I was on a bonded DSL i was around 50ms. Plus the router you get when you upgrade to fibre is much better then the ones that come with the 15mbps service. 

If you do upgrade to fibre, you will notice a significant improvement.

Highlighted
Connector
The reason why your probably getting slow speeds is because your router is in the basement and your computer is upstairs.

Regarding you using a wireless extender it depends in the type of extender as I had used a netgear extender and the highest speed I got was 10mbps when I have 25mbps internet (soon to be 100mbps) so it depends on the quality of your extender.

What signal strength are you getting where your computer is? And have you tried running a speed test on your phone in the same room to make sure its just not your computer having the issue?

If the speed is slow on your phone as well it's likely that you don't have good signal strength as wireless speeds go lower the farther away you are from the router

Also try running a speed test with your phone next to the router to make sure your actually getting the 15mbps speed.

Many factors can affect wireless speed such as other people's wifi networks, microwaves, walls and any material that blocks wifi signals and anything that uses the 2.4gz wireless spectrum

Try moving your computer closer to your router if possible or getting the router moved to where your computer is that way you would increase the strength of the wifi signal.

But the best bet would be to use a Ethernet cable as then you will get the full 15mbps speed with no problem.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Highlighted
Connector

Sorry but this is not a reply to your question but I have spent the last hour trying to find where to post a question. So that's my question - where to I go or what do I click on to get the chance to ask my question?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Choose a category on the home page (Mobility Devices, Internet, TV and Home Phone, etc). Once there, there is a big 'ASK a Question' button to press. It should be straightforward from there.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
(Delete old post)

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.