Mac time machine w/ air port and optik set up

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

lafrance
Neighbour

Hello!

This is more for users on a mac however if you use time machine to back up your computer on window may apply.

When telus set up optik they use there own wifi system this will NOT work with our time machine 

the work around is to ask that your internet "if you are on optik high speed ask them to install a hub only for your wifi internet this will resolved time machine to stay green

Community Power User
Community Power User

@lafrance

Another option is to connect your Time Capsule to the Telus Gateway with an Ethernet cable, and turn the  Wi-Fi and Router functions off on the Time Capsule, using the Airport Utility.  This makes it a simple disk on your network, and your Macs will back up using Time Machine whenever connected to your Telus Wi-Fi or to Ethernet.   Just be sure the Ethernet Cable from the Telus Gateway is connected to one of the three LAN ports on the Time Capsule, and not to the WAN port.  Smooth as silk!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
lafrance
Neighbour

this would removed the option to back up all my macs make no sense to do that your way sorry

Community Power User
Community Power User

It's backing up my Macs just fine!

NFtoBC
lafrance
Neighbour

Interesting we try it every way with optik tech here and would not connect.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The tech support people in most cases have never even touched an Apple product, especially the Time Machines. For my Macs, I use a regular external drive as well as a NAS.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk

What NAS are you using?  I had a D-link 321, and am currently using a WD MyBook, but am thinking to move to a Synology or QNAP unit.  The D-link managed Time Machine backups so poorly I bought the Apple solution instead.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have a pair of D-Link DNS 323s. I stopped using MyBooks after having two of them fail on me. The external HD I'm using is one I put together. Bought the drive and the case separately. Haven't had an issue yet with it. Smiley Happy

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
KevinR
Resident

So as my gateway is wireless to all my computers, phones, iPads, etc. do I have to hook the time capsule directly to my desktop to program the wifi off and then move it to the gateway?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Easiest if you do that. Wi-Fi off and in 'Bridge Mode' It should then be assigned a DCHP address when connected to the LAN.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Emperor12
Helpful Neighbour

Awesome.! I cant figure out how to do this...."and turn the  Wi-Fi and Router functions off on the Time Capsule, using the Airport Utility."

Can you explain a bit more?? I haven't had anything backed up for months and am freaking out =)

thanks!

Community Power User
Community Power User

With your Time Capsule connected to your network with an Ethernet cable:

Open the Airport Utility (Launchpad > Other)

Choose the Time Capsule you want to modify. Select Edit

Under the Internet tab choose Connect Using: DHCP

Under the Wireless Tab choose Network Mode: Off

Under the Network Tab choose Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

Select Update

NFtoBC
Emperor12
Helpful Neighbour

Out of a 'LAN' on the Telus router into a 'WAN' on the Time Capsule?

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Emperor12 wrote:

Out of a 'LAN' on the Telus router into a 'WAN' on the Time Capsule?

LAN to LAN.

NFtoBC
Emperor12
Helpful Neighbour

Hmmmm...I thought it was working but....it's just stuck on 'preparing backup'...

Community Power User
Community Power User

If it has been some time since you last created a backup, it can take some time - it has to determine what is the same & what changed. Just let it whirr away - it may take some hours for the first new backup to complete.

NFtoBC
Emperor12
Helpful Neighbour

"Backup disk not available" It cant find my Time Capsule....one of the Airport Utility settings must not be right....wireless should really be turned off? It is not physically connected to my computer....the wireless goes through the router?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, the wireless should go through the router.

What happens when you use the Airport Utility when your computer is connected to the router by Wi-Fi?

Edit: You have selected the disk in System Preferences > Time Machine?

Edit: Just completed a backup while connected to my Wi-Fi, and no hardwire connection.

NFtoBC
Emperor12
Helpful Neighbour

ya the drive is selected in Time Machine preferences...

thing.jpg

Community Power User
Community Power User

It should be working without any difficulty.

My DNS settings are greyed out in the Internet tab.

Also this is my Disks Tab:

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 4.19.33 PM.png

And here's my Base Station Tab:

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 4.20.50 PM.png

NFtoBC